RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Suspension is clanking, but only when cold.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension is clanking, but only when cold.

So got the DRC fixed and everything was good. However, now a month or so down the road, I got this suspension knock over bumps, in the driver's front wheel well. Now yesterday a new clank arrived and it's at the rear right.

Here's the kicker, when the car's suspension warms up, the sounds go away. At first I thought that it was some loose bolt on the Sway or bottom or top of the shock. Now I am thinking that it's actually the DRC making that noise.

Chime in if you have an idea.

TIA

Ed Lee
Old 12-07-2008, 03:59 PM

Default My STaSIS SL's do that as well... I was going to have the install shop check all the connections.

around freezing I get a few thumps a time or two when I go over items like potholes or sharp ridges like a bad patch job on a pothole. Around 40 deg I'm good to go.

Someone on here said it could be a performance/summer tire phenomena not flexing as they should do to the cold.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Only thing is, I live in Southern California. It was really bad today but went away after 10

minutes of driving.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:00 PM

oh.... when you say cold...... was it temp cold ..... or just when 1st starting to drive?
Old 12-07-2008, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sounds like the DRC. Mine was like that before it was finally fixed...

For about 1-2 minutes i would hear the clanking, but after the car was warmed up it went away.

The dealer replaces all the valves to fix the problem.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It's the car temp. I don't think that the ambient temp matters but it has been a bit cold here in

So Cal. The car clanks in the morning for a few minutes then it goes away for the entire day.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default FRONTS REPLACED LAST WEEK AND I HAVE THE CLUNKING AS WELL. GOING BACK IN TOMORROW

I'm in socal as well, had the fronts replaced last week and it was clunky the minute I drove away. The car was driving better when the fronts were leaking.
I feel like they put to much pressure in the drc system. maybe that's why its so floaty. It feels like maybe les pressure would work a little better. The rebound is awful. Feels like the front wants want to come off the ground over every bump.
I also get a lot off wheel chatter wile hard corning over any non perfect road. It like skips or something.
I said it when I had the RS6 and ill say it again.
DRC SUCKS!!!!!
Old 12-08-2008, 05:14 AM

Default Wow that is my exact situation. EXACT.

Had the front shocks replaced a month ago. Clunk city over hard bumps, biased to the right side. Almost feels like the spring isnt seated on the perch. Heavy tire chatter on hard right turns under power.

Dealer says normal. Uhuh.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Where are you taking you car to get fixed. I have an appointment with Penske and I was thinking

that you should take your car there also.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I've had the same problem for 2 years and 14k miles. Went with StaSis

SL and it got worse not better. Check for top strut mounting stud impacting sheet metal. You need to remove the stut to check for this. Last week I had the dealer attempt a fourth repair and he drilled a relief hole in the sheet metal to allow the stud and nut to pass through when the strut is compressed. Seems to have made a difference but did not totally solve the problem. The hole may need to be drilled larger.

Also contact StaSis as they have developed a lower profile stut and lock nut. Seems others have had this issue as well.

Quick Reply: Suspension is clanking, but only when cold.