RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Test drove an R8 today ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drove an R8 today ...

It's a very nice car and everything I expected based on the reviews I have read. I drove a GT3 yesterday (I've driven both 996 and 997 versions) just to calibrate myself since it comes down to GT3 vs. R8 for me should I decide to part w/ my stealthy 4-door sedan for an in-your-face sportscar.

From a pure driving experience standpoint, the R8 beats the RS4 hands down. No surprise there. Take away 500lbs, move the engine to the middle, lower the CG, and well ... what else would you expect? Since I was test driving the car for the first time, I didn't push it very hard into the turns (we sought out several cloverleaves) but I didn't baby it either. A guy on one of those pocket-rocket motorcycles spotted us on the I-405 and followed us and I wasted him through the turns every time (and I mean, really, really wasted him -- the salesman was laughing his head off). He ended up following us back to the dealer because he was so excited about the car and wanted to learn more.

The car is really well balanced. I never turned off the traction control but you could sense the car starting to want to slide in the turns before the TC would imperceptibly kick-in and keep the car from doing so. If I decide to buy this car (and there's a good chance I will), I'll turn the TC off when out for fun. Incidentally, I've got my RS4 pretty well dialed in now with the Stasis motorsport suspension and a hefty RARB tightened-up to where I can consistently drift the care nicely through most turns.

The brakes are great. The common complaint in the reviews about not being able to hear the engine as much as one would like is true, but nothing an aftermarket exhaust won't fix, and when you get on the power the aural sensation is good. There's really very little to find fault with. The car is great.

My biggest complaint is you better like getting lots of attention if you buy this car. I'm not an attention ***** or an extrovert so this will be a problem for me and thus why my interest in the GT3. Yes, the GT3 will still get you a thumbs up here and there and people will ask questions when you pump gas, etc., but that's about it, since to most people it looks just like any other Porsche. With the R8, people who don't know squat about cars are going to start pointing and asking questions. After having driven both, however, I'm going to need to get comfortable with the attention the car draws of just stick with my RS4. The R8 is simply so much better as a road car it's impossible for me to justify buying the GT3 over the R8. The GT3 will beat out the R8 on the track, but that's not where I plan on driving the car except a couple times a year so I really don't care about that (not to mention, with the way the insurance policies are these days I don't exceed spirited driving when in a streetcar on a racing surface). Plus you get the AWD w/ the R8 which is pretty damn nice to have up here in the Pacific Northwest.

Gotta tell you though, getting back into my RS4 after driving the R8 was anything but disappointing I really love my car and it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. As great as the R8 is, it will be hard for me to decide if I want to trade-in my RS4 for one. Now, if the cars were the same price, that would be a no-brainer.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:17 PM

Default 500 lbs. lighter? Is that an acurate figure? And does "any other porsche" come in Lime Green, or wil

you buy the GT3 in Silver?

Seriously, I must live in a rare environment because my RS4 brings me no end to the attention, the pointing, the comments, the racing. And I live in a place where the most expensive cars are common, so maybe that accounts for it, as I've said here many times.

But the idea that the RS4 is a sleeper seems so difficult for me to believe, but I guess different regions bring different car consumers with different awareness.

About the choice, if you don't need the extra two seats in the RS4, I say it's a no brainer. My only problem with the R8 is frankly the idea that an R10 is not far around the corner. Sure, I suppose if you are willing to risk depreciation and get into that when it comes out, or you don't care, then the R8 is an absolute slam dunk against even the RS4, and I say that having driven it.

I never drove the RS4 prior to signing, I have faith the R8 is worth this praise

Get the R8!
Old 09-22-2007, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default The only way I'd upgrade to an R8 is if it saw the RS6 V10 Twin-Turbo! (580HP)

Otherwise, practicality owns all.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:23 PM

Default That's sort of what dogs the car for me. That engine may be looming.. or maybe it's not..

So if it never comes out, you may with you had gotten the R8.

If it does come out, well that will sort of suck.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Test drove an R8 today ...

Thanks for the review. I just sold my RS4 2 weeks ago after I placed an order for the R8. I hope it is as good as they said.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:22 AM

Default I'd be happy w/ the V8 even if the V10 comes out ...

What I enjoyed about the car was how well it handled, not the power. The V10 will come at a sizeable price premium I'm sure and like the RS4, the V8 R8 is plenty fast enough for a street car IMO.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Most RS4 owners simply need something other than a two seater pure sports car.....

If that's what I needed, at this price point, I would've bought a Z06 Vette, or possibly a Cayman S.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default You are right about the attention

You are right about the attention the car gets. I just got back from a road trip from Manchester to the Spa GP which included a stop (and laps) at the ring. There were 8 cars in out convoy including a R8 two Astons 2 Porches a TVR and the F430 spider I was driving. The R8 got as much or more attention than any of the other cars.
I did a lap of the ring in it as a passanger and I was very impressed.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have not driven the R8, but your position on the V10 question confirms my assumption. No question

about the potential of the twin turbo V10 in either an R10 or the upcoming RS6, but in actual daily driving the V8 would be more than enough for me. Plus, I read somewhere that the R8 was quite close to a GT3's time on the Nring so its balance, if not overwhelming power, is quite impressive. For those of you who have owned scary-fast versions of any number of recent cars, the novelty can wear off after the first few runs. Mostly it just becomes a little embarrassing, or at least that is the way it hits me.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Keep the RS4 as your winter car!!!

If you live in the NW!!

Quick Reply: Test drove an R8 today ...