RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Is there a way to do the clear corner mod without removing the bumper?? How about the side reflector

Old 08-28-2007, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a way to do the clear corner mod without removing the bumper?? How about the side reflector
Old 08-28-2007, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You can loosen the bumper to get the headlights out.

You don't have to completely pull it, but you do need to loosen it. The side reflector can be drilled through and cut away, but if you are pulling the bumper for the headlights anyway, might as well do the reflectors at the same time.

Do a search for "Eddie Man". He has links in his signature that answer both of your questions more completely. His answers are for an S4, but I have to assume the RS4 bumper has similar mounting points.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:12 PM

you can do the reflectors with lamin-x smoked tape..much easier, no need to spray and polish.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RS4 reflectors are completely different actually.....

they are bolted in. 2 bolts per side. However, it looks like they are accessible by loosening the front of each fender well. I will tackle this project at some point and get the side markers painted over.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Agree 100%. Not sure why anyone would do it any differently.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Regarding the refelctors, you can do the Eddie Man method...

Basically you purchase new reflectors and smoke or paint them. Then you destroy the originals by drilling a hole in the center and using that hole pop them out. Then just click the new ones in.

Go to the B7 S4 board and search for Eddie Man. Then look in his de-modded section for details on this.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm going to take this thread one step further...is it even necessary to bake the housings?

150 deg for 5 minutes isn't a lot of heat. If you leave the car in the hot summer sun for a couple of hours (with the engine also hot), the housings are probably ALREADY at or near 150 degrees. So then, why even bother removing the headlight housings and baking them? While the housing is still hot and in the vehicle (but pulled forward slightly to access all of the clips), couldn't one pry the face lens off (using a hair dryer or heat gun for additional heat, if necessary), remove the orange lens, and put the housing back together? Just a thought.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default smoked doesn't really look good with colors other than black or daytona.

I taped my reflectors with blackout tape....the fronts look ok, but the rears looked dumb. clear lenses would look better on silver or white cars.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've thought of this, but here are some possible issues...

The amber lens isn't always easy to pop out. Not taking the housings out might not give you the leverage you need to knock it out.

The glue around the housing might be an issue without leverage as well. If any gets into the housing there is really nothing you can do to fix it. With the housings out you can manage the glue easily.

The clips on the bottom might not be accessible without removing the housings completely.

I agree that the engine alone would make the housings hot enough, so if you can get them out fast enough there would be no reason to bake them.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default regarding the amber lens itself....

...i haven't seen it in person, but couldn't you just drill holes in it and break it up into pieces, instead of trying to forcibly pop it out? That's how people used to do it on the Mk1 TT (which could be done without even removing the face lens...just drill a hole in the back of housing, break up the reflector, remove through the hole, seal hole with silicone).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is there a way to do the clear corner mod without removing the bumper?? How about the side reflector