RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

There's a chance I will be driving my RS4 home from FL to NY and I want to get the break in.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There's a chance I will be driving my RS4 home from FL to NY and I want to get the break in.....

procedure down if I do.

The trip is approx. 1350 miles door to door.

I know I need to vary my speed and gears. But I want to get a better understanding of DR GP's method of occasional WOT and coasting (engine breaking).

How many times should I do this on the trip etc?

TIA
Old 06-15-2006, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You already here?

Talked to Justin y-day said you were flying down today. If you're hanging around instead or running back gimme a ring and we'll grab some drinks.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:55 AM
Elder Member

Default yeah. have a couple drinks "for the road". then his speed will vary alot - perfect for break-in.

;-)
Old 06-15-2006, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No down there yet, trying to figure things out before I get a flight......

I didn't realize until last night that the car is the exact one we were talking about on AIM. Justin just told me last night that it had XM and they swapped it for Sirius and then it hit me.

My wife has an issue with me flying with out her and wants to come with me and drive the car back.

I would rather just have it shipped and not chance anything before I have the clear bra installed. I'm waiting to hear back from my transport company to see when they will get the car, if it will be after the weekend I think I'm just going to drive it up.

Not sure if I can do drinks depending on what time I want to hit the road etc, but I will get in touch when I'm down there and we can meet up for sure.

How far are you from The Collection?
Old 06-15-2006, 09:13 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default About 3 times /day , In any gear, at or near to the redline. Followed by

Engine braking back to cruising speed. Plus on I 95, I would be consantly shifting from 6th to 5th to 4th back to 5th to 6th .... ALL at the same speed(65-85mph). I also would not stay at the same RPM for more than 5 mins. By the time you get home(I would expect the trip would take 2 days) The car will be sufficiently broken in and WOT to your hearts content. I assume that you found your PB with options you wanted?
Old 06-15-2006, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes got the car I wanted....(more).....

So you said 3 times/day is that for a normal break in or mine as well? Since I will be driving 1350 miles in 2 days, should I do it every certain # of miles or stick to the 3 times each day rule?
Old 06-15-2006, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Looks like I will be driving it up, the transport company can't get it until next Wednesday :-( ....

How should I protect the car for the drive?

Race Tape, Griots new stuff????
Old 06-15-2006, 09:58 AM

Default I know that blue painters' tape works really well.

I don't think that it leaves any sort of residue like duct tape or masking tape would. Could be wrong but that is what I have seen.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I did a search and found out Racers tape is best, but I don't know how many rolls to get and how ...

to get them in a day.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:10 AM

Ask the dealer if they have the Delivery car condom it came in? use that :-)

Quick Reply: There's a chance I will be driving my RS4 home from FL to NY and I want to get the break in.....