RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

For those that have driven the R8 & RS4, can you describe the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those that have driven the R8 & RS4, can you describe the difference?
Old 09-20-2007, 05:21 PM

Default Never drove the R8, but

having driven the Cayman S lately, the obvious guess will be a much better balance and lighter feel.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

ill let you know in march
Old 09-20-2007, 06:52 PM

Default Re: Never drove the R8, but

haven't you bought a Cayman S yet? this public salivating is getting out of control. just kidding.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default completely different animals...

drove RS4 and R8 on track last weekend. Drove the RS4 first and it was amazing. This is the type of car I am used to (previous S4, RS6) a little heavy, lots of smooth/buttery power. Transmission very smooth and easy to use. I found the limits of the RS4 on the track pretty easily. Then...the R8

The R8 is on a whole other level. I could take it at speeds that the RS4 could not achieve on the track and I am sure the car had more to give aside from the weak link - the driver. Transmission felt more "mechanical" but that was not necessarily a bad thing.

Hard to compare the two: 2 seater/mid-engine vs. 4-door front-heavy sedan. They were both awesome, but completely different. I want them BOTH!! Bottom line...the RS4 was "fun" while the R8 was "scary"
Old 09-21-2007, 12:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Despite some shared grunt, totally different. I tracked the R8 and RS4 back-to-back...

...and although I'm no race car driver, or even an experienced trackday guy, the difference is huge.

When riding with the German Audi Factory driver in the RS4, after having driven the R8 on the same track. I asked him what he thought of the 2 cars. He was very complimentary of both, but said the R8 platform made him tingle.

You have to keep in mind the stance, mid-engine placement (and inherent balance), and the weight differential when comparing a sport sedan to a mid-engine supercar.

But at the end of the day, the RS4 is still for me. It will be tempting to underutilize, but enjoy, the V10TT version of the R8 or the RS6, but hopefully my sense will get the best of me by then. ;-)
Old 09-21-2007, 03:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default R8: Eager to play, yet entirely stable...

Tracked both a couple weeks ago - while the RS4 was very good, the R8 was tremendously better, in part because of the lower center of mass and much reduced body lean. That contributed to a sense of greater stability, and less deviation from the intended path when going over bumps. I felt more connected to the R8, which felt like an extension of my hands and feet, like there was a direct link from thought to action.

The most striking difference was the willingness of the R8 to respond to adjsutments in the attitude of the car. The R8 felt eager to play, yet entirely stable, and let me do things I couldn't do in the RS4. Want a little drift in a particular corner? No problem. Place it just so at an apex. Again, no problem.

Finally, the R8 engine/exhaust sounds were more aggressive, racier. Sounds faster! And R-tronic was very good (at least on the track).
Old 09-21-2007, 04:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Didn't think the R8 was scary; very predictable and secure, yet faster and more...

easily controllable than the RS4.

Quite impressive how fluid and easy the R8 was to drive.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default not scary in a bad way - scary in a GOOD way. I didnt think I could achieve the speeds

the R8 allowed. Totally agree with your comment - super predictable and stable.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default But "Sense and Sensibility" should apply to cars, too...let sensibility rule

and order an R8, then goad me into ordering an RS6 sedan when/if available.

Quick Reply: For those that have driven the R8 & RS4, can you describe the difference?