RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

For those who drive with the ESP off (i.e., illuminated and disengaged)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those who drive with the ESP off (i.e., illuminated and disengaged)

Have you had any challenging moments (e.g., avoiding a deer) where you wish that it had been engaged.

I've been driving with it disengaged for the past few days, and the performance is noticeable. . . especially in high rpm shifts from 1st to 2nd and hard cornering (low rpms while in 2nd). I may just make this a permanent change. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:12 AM

Default Re: For those who drive with the ESP off (i.e., illuminated and disengaged)

I like to drive with it off. But for those dark, rainy nights on unfamiliar roads I'll keep it on as a safety net.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I leave it off on the S4 all the time. Only time it's on is snow or ice and wheel spin is not wanted

It re-engages anyway when you apply the brakes even when turned off.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:53 AM

I believe if you hold it for 6 seconds, it stays off w/ braking.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I leave it on when i'm on the freeway...

...I had a truck merge into my lane (and into me) when I had my old TT, and I'm convinced ESP saved me from much more severe damage and possible injury and/or death. No reason to leave it off when driving on the freeway.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No such truth, I've experimented with it enough. The ONLY way to completely disengage ESP...

ASR, EDL and ABS is to pull the ABS fuse. When you do this not only did you loose ABS but EBD which monitors the front to rear brake bias.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Correct. Even when switched "OFF" the stability portion of the ESP will automatically come out...

Of its "standby mode" when you apply the brakes. What the stability program does for you is to use differential braking via the ABS to try to keep the car under control while braking. This is very apparent when driving aggressively on slick snow or ice covered roads.

Now as for driving in snow at speed, above 50 mph, the EDL portion of the traction control is disabled. The only thing the ESP program will do for you is to engage the ASR portion of the traction control when it sees/senses too much speed and exaggerated steering wheel inputs via the ABS sensors (speed) and the steering wheel angle sensor and the yaw sensor.

If you are stuck in a snow bank and the ESP is left "on" the algorithm in the program will disable the EDL portion of the ESP to prevent brake overheating. This happens when you try to rock the car back and forth in the snow bank.

BTW, I never drive with the ESP on. I find it way too intrusive even in the dry.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:04 PM

Default So, when I brake, the icon remains illuminated (disengaged). Are you

saying that it is actually "on" or on briefly during an extreme event? Thanks.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes that is correct. The ESP is always "ON", let me rephrase that...

When you deselect the ESP to "OFF"(the ESP triangular icon light on), You are basically disabling the traction control side of the ESP program except for the EDL because it is always "ON" up to 50 mph. BTW the EDL is a function of the ABS system. No ABS = no ESP or EDL. You are also putting the stability side of the program into "standby" mode for when you apply the brakes. It's like having your own "Guardian Angel".

SO ESP "OFF" (light "ON") = ESP traction control "OFF" (except EDL) and ESP the stability control (when braking) in "standby mode".

NOTE: The ESP icon will not go out if the ESP is triggered when braking if the ESP is required or intervenes.

Now on the RS4 the ESP switch as a dual mode or dual stage function that may (not too familiar with it) disable different things at the first push and other things at the second push.

Maybe someone here can read up on it to clarify exactly what happens when in the RS4. However the basics workings of the system remain the same as on the A4and S4.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think ESP on/off matters in a deer situation.

I think you'll be slamming the brakes and the ABS brakes will be saving your butt. Isn't ESP for when you are gassing it and the wheels are spinning? ESP will kick in and slow the spinning wheels down to gain traction and keep you straight?

Quick Reply: For those who drive with the ESP off (i.e., illuminated and disengaged)