RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

throttle remapping

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle remapping

When I hit the S button, I don't notice much difference in the throttle. Also, the exhaust note changes but not as much as I expected.

I test drove a different RS4 than the one I purchased, and its S response seemed more visceral than the one I ultimately purchased.

Can anyone tell me what I should expect? I'm taking the car into the dealer on Monday to get it looked at. Thanks
Old 11-19-2006, 02:31 PM

Default Some questions for you...

What RPM are you at and in what gear are you at when you find the S throttle not as visceral?

The reason I ask is because for you to really notice the difference in the S throttle remap you have to be above 4k RPM and ideally you'll really notice it as you climb higher, but 4k RPM should be the point where you can just stab the throttle pedal a tiny bit and have the car lurch forward.

Also, how many miles do you have on the car?

As far as sound goes, you'll not really notice the sound difference in the S button until after 5k RPM when you're ripping up the road and moving through the gears.

Answer those questions first before worrying. Best of luck!
Old 11-19-2006, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Some questions for you...

I have 1300 miles now.

At higher RPMs, I'm not noticing much of a difference still...no lurch on throttle. It's just normal and smooth.

Also, my clutch just started squeaking when I clutch down. Not sure what's going on, but I'll see when I take it in tomorrow.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:14 PM

Default Some more questions

First, you say no lurch at higher RPMs when doing a quick stab? Doesn't sound right. However, if something was wrong you would probably seen CEL on your dash, but still, could be an issue. What kind of a car did you have prior? Perhaps if you are used to turbo whiplash you are just not finding this power to be what you're used to? Remember RS4 has very glassy smooth revving, although IMO stabbing throttle above 4k RPM should result in whiplash of some sort, it does in my car.

Also, squeaking when pushing in the clutch?

I think you should take your RS4 in as you're planning to do, let us know how it goes and best of luck to you!
Old 11-19-2006, 06:47 PM

Default Re: Some more questions

Interesting...I haven't pushed the throttle all the way down yet. I get the same power you're describing from both S and non-S. I just don't notice much of a difference between the two.

I have a GT2 and I've had M3 and SL55. I do notice how smooth the revving is.

I've passed 1200 miles, so I'm pushing it hard at high revs...just no full throttle. Probably 3/4 max.

Clutch makes a loud click when I push it in, and squeaks on the release...like squeaky springs on a mattress.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:50 PM

Default even more questions and some answers

3/4 throttle should be plenty for a jolt, plenty. Something sounds wrong. Mind you the jolt will be initially and subsequently it will become normal until the next application of throttle input.

When you say a loud click when you push the clutch in, does this happen at all rev ranges? All gears? Does it require full kickin of the clutch or does it click the moment you engange the kickin?

Well you should hopefully learn more when you take it in. Please let us know how it goes and definitely best of luck getting it worked out.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:41 PM

Default turns out its a broken neutral starter?

The neutral starter was the source of the clicking on the clutch. Waiting to receive a replacement part

Haven't heard back on the throttle, but it seems okay

It's been 2 days, and I WANT THE CAR BACK!!!
I feel incomplete without my RS4