RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Tire question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire question

Hey guys, I'm picking up a 2007 RS4 today, keeping my 2002 S6. I've got the RS4 replica wheels on my S6. The tire size is 255/30/19. The RS4 tire size is 255/35/19. I was planning on putting my S6 wheels/tires (new michelin super sports) on the RS4 but just realized that the sizes are different. I'm guessing that it might look a little odd to have the wrong size on it. Are there any other reason I shouldn't do this? Will it have adverse effects on the RS4 suspension or anything? The tires coming with the RS4 are getting low on tread and I usually pop my winter set on the S6 late fall. Thanks for any help.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's usually not recommended to put a smaller tire on that the original size, but just going from a 35 to a 30 shouldn't make too much of a difference. You'll be going slightly slower than indicated, and lose some ground clearance. That curb you barely fit over now might have a meeting with your bumper next time you park.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm not sure which RS4 replicas you have, but the ones I've seen don't look very good. I would def keep the real RS4 wheels that come with the RS4. Also you may have fitment issues with the replicas, hub size, offset etc. Just noting the tire size doesn't tell you much. Just grab a set of tires for your RS4. Is it a dealer you're buying the car from? They should be able to negotiate some new tires with your purchase.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Coupon
It's usually not recommended to put a smaller tire on that the original size, but just going from a 35 to a 30 shouldn't make too much of a difference. You'll be going slightly slower than indicated, and lose some ground clearance. That curb you barely fit over now might have a meeting with your bumper next time you park.
its 10% of the section width, so that's about an inch. That's a huge difference and it would make the wheel gap look silly.

Also, the C5 wheels you have are likely entirely inappropriate for an RS4.

i.e. stock C5 offset was probably around ET45...while stock RS4 offset is ET29. That's a 16 mm difference in flushness. Pretty huge. Further, if the S6 wheels are ony 8.5" that's another 12mm in width, 6 of which on the outside, so now you're at 22 mm difference. Won't even clear the brakes, even if it didn't look terrible.

Basically it's a no go.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by sakimano
its 10% of the section width, so that's about an inch. That's a huge difference and it would make the wheel gap look silly.

Also, the C5 wheels you have are likely entirely inappropriate for an RS4.

i.e. stock C5 offset was probably around ET45...while stock RS4 offset is ET29. That's a 16 mm difference in flushness. Pretty huge. Further, if the S6 wheels are ony 8.5" that's another 12mm in width, 6 of which on the outside, so now you're at 22 mm difference. Won't even clear the brakes, even if it didn't look terrible.

Basically it's a no go.
Good advice
Old 08-14-2012, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thats right I didn't even think about the offset! I have the Hartmann replicas and have been very happy with them. I guess they're staying on the S6. The car came with Pzero Rosso's from an Audi dealer. Too late to negotiate new tires into the deal Thanks for the help guys!

Tim
Old 08-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TimZ
Thats right I didn't even think about the offset! I have the Hartmann replicas and have been very happy with them. I guess they're staying on the S6. The car came with Pzero Rosso's from an Audi dealer. Too late to negotiate new tires into the deal Thanks for the help guys!

Tim
throw up pics of both...wouldn't mind seeing the S6 especially. Is it a wagon? We only got the S6 4.2 avant up here for C5...not sure if it was avant + sedan available in the US.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah the S6 is the Avant (C5). They never sent the S6 sedan (C5) to the states. The wagon is a great car tho. So versatile. I'll get some pics up tomorrow.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Pics

S6 rides better on the highway (long wheelbase, etc.)
RS4......I'm loving it!
Attached Images   
Old 08-16-2012, 07:38 AM
Banned

love the widebody on the S6.

Did you ever tune it or anything? VAST used to have some good stuff because their tuning brain bought an A6 4.2 and took it pretty far.

He now tunes for JHM and they have a few files. A friend's dad just got a JHM file for his S6 4.2 and he loves it.

Here's a cool thread posted by JHM's tuner about his 4.2 A6/S6/S8 development from back in the day...

http://audirevolution.net/forum/index.php?topic=599.0

Quick Reply: Tire question