RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 09:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires

I currently have the OEM run flats on my RS4. Do most continue with the run-flats or go to a more traditional tire? I am just curious too see what everyone is doing in the tire dept.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

The RS4 didn't come with RFTs. It had Pirelli's on it when I got it, which I think were one of the OEM offerings. They were decent, but a bit worn out by the time I got the car (bought it CPO). Then I tried Hankook Ventus V12s. The ride quality and grip were great, but the sidewalls were a bit soft, so turn-in wasn't as crisp as I like. But the ride was smoooooth. This summer, I tried Michelin Pilot Super Sports. WOW. What a great tire. Ride quality, crisp turn in, quiet, smooth, decent road feel, long wear. This tire has it all!!
Old 07-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

For daily driving, the Super Sports are pretty much the most recommended tire these days. They are less expensive than the PS2, and have better wet performance than the PS2. The Ventus seems to get mixed opinions.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by spagolli94
The RS4 didn't come with RFTs. It had Pirelli's on it when I got it, which I think were one of the OEM offerings. They were decent, but a bit worn out by the time I got the car (bought it CPO). Then I tried Hankook Ventus V12s. The ride quality and grip were great, but the sidewalls were a bit soft, so turn-in wasn't as crisp as I like. But the ride was smoooooth. This summer, I tried Michelin Pilot Super Sports. WOW. What a great tire. Ride quality, crisp turn in, quiet, smooth, decent road feel, long wear. This tire has it all!!
Totally support the Michelin PSS. Just had mine mounted and they were flawless in the rain compared to the Continental SC3 I had on before.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I run Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus in the "good" weather and 18" dedicated snows in the "bad" weather. The weather and the roads around here are too rotten (for me) to run a max performance tire on a daily driver.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I run allseasons (Yokohama now ) for summer use (we can get snow here anytime here in Colorado) because they get longer mileage and are quieter than performance tires. Plus being within 90% of the ultimate traction is fine with me.
For winter I use Dunlop 3Ds on the OEM wheels.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Reggie, I'm sure you catch a lot of grief, like "why do you run A/S tires?" I can't say I fault you for your decision. I used to run A/S tires on my previous 330i. After a year of running summer tires on the same car, I can't say that I noticed much of a difference in traction. You really have to push it to "ludicrous speed" for the difference to become apparent. If you're doing track days, sure, that's one thing. But for 99% of the driving we do every day, a good set of A/S tires are a perfectly sound choice.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by spagolli94
Reggie, I'm sure you catch a lot of grief, like "why do you run A/S tires?" I can't say I fault you for your decision. I used to run A/S tires on my previous 330i. After a year of running summer tires on the same car, I can't say that I noticed much of a difference in traction. You really have to push it to "ludicrous speed" for the difference to become apparent. If you're doing track days, sure, that's one thing. But for 99% of the driving we do every day, a good set of A/S tires are a perfectly sound choice.
Thanks

I catch a lot of grief for a lot of things - and yes this is one too
Old 07-26-2012, 04:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Tires

I put on Goodyear Eagle F1's shortly after getting the car and had to change after 18K miles and went to the Mich Pilots as well. I got 28K on those and just recently changed to Hankook Ventus. I agree with Reggie.... I don't track and they are quieter. As a DD they all have been great (the F1's were great for flying around hairpin turns but not made for higher mileage)... I drive a lot and need a lasting tire.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I owned a set of the Goodyear F1's (older version). Amazing in the wet but they got really noisy long before they were even 1/2 worn out. Couldn't wait to get rid of them.

Quick Reply: Tires