RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Took the plunge, and have a few newbie quesitons and an observation...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took the plunge, and have a few newbie quesitons and an observation...

Will take delivery of my 07 RS4, Phantom Blk/Ebony/CF/Premium/Rear Seat
Airbag equiped car on Monday. Despite reading the reviews and quite a bit here, I missed the fact that there is no spare tire. I am happy it does not have run flats like my 06 BMW 650i sp/conv. and assume that the canister in the trunk is to fill a flat until it can be repaired/replaced. Not entirely comfortable with that idea. Anyone travel with repair plug kits/spare tire or take other measures in the event of a puncture? Worse yet, torn sidewalls present a major problem w/o a spare.
No iPod connectivity, but two slots for MP3 chips behind the nav screen. Pardon my ignorance, but can I load playlists from iTunes to the MP3 cards, if that is what the chips are called? Also, will the screen display the song/album names?
Finally, for now, anyone have experience with winter tires on the stock 19" wheels? This car will be my primary winter car. I would like to avoid getting 18" wheels for winter tires, but if that becomes necessary, suggestions for Audi 18's that would look right on the car would be appreciated.
BTW, I had been concerned that the ride would be a bit too stout for everyday use, but after a test drive, it was much more compliant and comfortable than my GF's 997 C4S with adaptive sport seats or for that matter my 00 A6 4.2 with sport springs/shocks and H-Sport anti-sway bars. Audi engineers did a very good job with DRC.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:20 PM

Default Shhh, don't compliment DRC around here, before you know it

there will be a katrillion RS6 owners in here poo-pooing it all away!!

Seriously though, congrats. About the lack of spare, it's advised that if you're going on a long trip, to bring a spare wheel (stock/OEM) with a matching tire.

I keep one at home, that way worst case if I am stuck around town I can get someone to bring it.

The problem is that you will have a hard time (as others have really had) when stuck out in nowhwere, getting a tire of the right size. Some have reported weeks waiting in the midwest.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:39 PM

Default Re: Shhh, don't compliment DRC around here, before you know it

What's taking up the space below trunk floor, if no spare? Or is it simply a weight thing?
Old 12-09-2006, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

the battery was moved there to reduce weight up front
Old 12-09-2006, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You can use MP3 files and playlists on the SD cards. No spare -> what roadside assistance is for

And yeah, it displays song info on the nav screen and in your info screen on the dash.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:51 PM

Default roadside assistance can't get you the right tire if you're in the middle of nowhere

unfortunately it's happened already to a few folks..
Old 12-09-2006, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Right, but is there even a jack if one carries a spare on trips? If so I...

suppose I'll have to find a lightweight jack. Any recommendations for the right jack?
Old 12-09-2006, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Agreed, but around town I wouldn't worry about it. Only on long road trips.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Look here:

<ul><li><a href="http://www.penneck.com/rs4gallery/display.aspx?gal=Miscellaneous&amp;img=Misc_26.jpg ">http://www.penneck.com/rs4gallery/display.aspx?gal=Miscellaneous&amp;img=Misc_26.jpg </a</li></ul>
Old 12-10-2006, 09:38 AM

Default So I've heard...

You would think that Audi might spring for a lightweight battery design in the traditional location for a car like the RS4 instead of moving it into the trunk. Cheapskates!

So, are there battery cables running the length of the car(underneath) to location in trunk? That's just asking for trouble, IMO.

Quick Reply: Took the plunge, and have a few newbie quesitons and an observation...