RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Track setup RS4: Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Track setup RS4: Brakes

Last time I took my RS4 to the track I cooked the brakes. What would you all recommend to avoid this? Is high temp brake fluid enough or should I also get stainless steel lines? Any other recommendations for fluid/lines/brake pads? Doing HPIR with RMC PCA on 9/21.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gossip Girl
Last time I took my RS4 to the track I cooked the brakes. What would you all recommend to avoid this? Is high temp brake fluid enough or should I also get stainless steel lines? Any other recommendations for fluid/lines/brake pads? Doing HPIR with RMC PCA on 9/21.
Steel braided brake lines, ATE Racing brake fluid (blue or gold), and proper pads/rotors (quite a few to choose from depending on your budget). Make sure you have fresh fluid racing day.
I'm sure there are others here with greater experience than I do... :-)
Old 08-19-2013, 11:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've got to do some brake work in the near future too. I just ordered some Amsoil DOT4 brake fluid. I've used their oil for a long time and have had great luck with it.

Info: https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...?code=BF4SN-EA

I've done a number of track days with a buddy that swears on Carbotech brake pads, he uses the XP10 version. They work very well and have lasted for a few track weekends.

When I need new rotors or rings, I'm thinking of going with the lightened rings that I've seen on this website. I haven't heard much about them, but I'd rather reuse the center part than buy a new one.

Braided steel lines will be a future upgrade, but I haven't done any research. Let me know what you end up with!
Old 08-23-2013, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Stainless steel brake lines are not required. Good pads are.

Call Mike Jr at http://www.ctbrakes.com/ (Carbotech) and tell him what you are doing with the car and he will hook you up with a great set of pads .. I am currently running xp-10s all the way around (17 track days so far). Just got off a set of xp-12s ( a little dusty and embarassingly noisy at lights ). Both worked very nicely the 10s take a wee bit longer to stop but are easy to modulate. the 12s take a bit more heat to get em working but then thier initial bite is hardcore and still modulate like the 10s.

Most people recommend a 660 brake fluid. But I use Napa dot-3. I do that cause when my brakes start to feel even the slightest bit squishy its time to bring her in ( for a multitude of reasons not just the brakes, one of which is I like to drive it home from the track afterwards =] )

I brake very late and very aggressively similar to what I do in my racecar. Typically I go through 4 sets of tires to one set of carbotechs.

Steel brake lines can help if you feel the pedal is too squishy when cold. I dont mind as I seem to feel its a wee bit easier to heel and toe with a bit more compliance. And modulation takes less finese. If I was racing it tho there would udoubtably be SS brakelines on it.

Good luck!

David Jackson
CDI- NWR-SCCA
Old 08-23-2013, 02:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I used Endless or SRF for my Audi and GT3RS. They had SS braided lines. Both reduced fade but it wasn't enough on the Audi.

The best solution for the RS4 would be a big brake kit. Alcon, StopTech, Brembo are good options but are pricey. The RS4 is a heavy car that needs a BBK on the track. You can change the pads like suggested but a more aggressive pad will cook your rotors pretty quick.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrmCtchr
Stainless steel brake lines are not required. Good pads are.

Call Mike Jr at http://www.ctbrakes.com/ (Carbotech) and tell him what you are doing with the car and he will hook you up with a great set of pads .. I am currently running xp-10s all the way around (17 track days so far). Just got off a set of xp-12s ( a little dusty and embarassingly noisy at lights ). Both worked very nicely the 10s take a wee bit longer to stop but are easy to modulate. the 12s take a bit more heat to get em working but then thier initial bite is hardcore and still modulate like the 10s.

Most people recommend a 660 brake fluid. But I use Napa dot-3. I do that cause when my brakes start to feel even the slightest bit squishy its time to bring her in ( for a multitude of reasons not just the brakes, one of which is I like to drive it home from the track afterwards =] )

I brake very late and very aggressively similar to what I do in my racecar. Typically I go through 4 sets of tires to one set of carbotechs.

Steel brake lines can help if you feel the pedal is too squishy when cold. I dont mind as I seem to feel its a wee bit easier to heel and toe with a bit more compliance. And modulation takes less finese. If I was racing it tho there would udoubtably be SS brakelines on it.

Good luck!

David Jackson
CDI- NWR-SCCA
Thanks for the info!

I just ordered my XP10s, but did a little more research and found that CT brake pads are a ceramic-metallic compound, and the OE brake pads on the car are a semi-metallic. On my last car I switched from semi-metallic to ceramic and back to semi-metallic, and the last change destroyed my brake rotors. I was told the ceramic compound (or any brake pad compound) 'impregnates' the rotors, and without turning them between compound changes, the materials don't work together at all.

I've also been told that the tolerance on the RS4 rotors doesn't allow for much of them being shaved off, if any. Will the CT XP-10s work?

Additionally, the track I go to is hard on brakes; lots of long straights and sharp corners. The last few times with my old car, and the only time i've had the RS4 there, I go through a set of brake pads in a weekend. The buddy I usually go with has done many weekends with the XP10s on his corvette and they are still ready for more.

Please throw some knowledge at me
Old 08-27-2013, 06:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default StopTech

I have used StopTech Street Performance pads with the rest of the stock setup and they were great. Three track days and 15k miles of road use and they are still in good shape. Mild dust and nearly silent so far. Highly recommend them for a DD/light track use.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kirby2112
I have used StopTech Street Performance pads with the rest of the stock setup and they were great. Three track days and 15k miles of road use and they are still in good shape. Mild dust and nearly silent so far. Highly recommend them for a DD/light track use.
I might go with a set of those pads. The ones I ordered are on backorder and no one bothered to tell me for over a week.

Anyone else tried the StopTech Street Performance pads?