RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Trouble with Stasis SL's - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble with Stasis SL's - Need Advice

I had a Stasis SL supension system installed in 7/2008 by a highly respected turning company in NJ. In Jan. 2009 I hit a large pothole on Rt80 and the passenger side strut was damaged and had to be replaced (no damage to the tire or wheel). It took 3 weeks and $800 to get the car back on the road. This week I am on my way to work exiting rt 80 and changing lanes. I hit a pot hole (a modest one in between the two lanes) at about 40 mph. Again, strut damaged this time the drivers side. No damage to wheel or tire. I have not seen any posts where other have had this type of experience. Could this be an installation problem?? Has anyone heard of such problems? In the first incident the suspension immediately bottomed out requiring a tow. This time it did not bottom out and I was able to limp to an Audi dealer a couple of miles away. The big decision I have to make is do I have it towed to the installer and wait another 3 weeks on the part, or do I have the dealer reinstall the original DRCrap. I really like the way the Stasis rides, but cannot deal with these problems (be it a product or install problem). While I know that potholes can cause damage, 40mph and a modest pothole simply should not cause this type of damage.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

My rear shock cracked last week near the (eye socket) bottom of shock. Called STaSIS and they overnighted a replacement. Hope this one holds up as my system is under a year old. I must say the customer service STaSIS has is great, no questions asked just sent the part out.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RS4 RAIDER
My rear shock cracked last week near the (eye socket) bottom of shock. Called STaSIS and they overnighted a replacement. Hope this one holds up as my system is under a year old. I must say the customer service STaSIS has is great, no questions asked just sent the part out.
Both of mine cracked at the bottom as well. I sent Stasis an e-mail this evening, but am worried that with the roads here in NJ this may be a onoing issue for me. Good luck, hopefully you won't have the problem again.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Interesting. I usually slow down for potholes but it is not like I do swerves to avoid them. I never had a bent rim. I would think that if the rim can take it the suspension should be fine as well. (well within reason). So is the warranty for the SL coilovers one year from purchase? Do they include rebuilds? I mean I know DRC has issues but they do have 4y/50k warranty(although it may not be so easy to claim sometimes).

Cheers

Nick
Old 06-12-2009, 05:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by titsataki
Interesting. I usually slow down for potholes but it is not like I do swerves to avoid them. I never had a bent rim. I would think that if the rim can take it the suspension should be fine as well. (well within reason). So is the warranty for the SL coilovers one year from purchase? Do they include rebuilds? I mean I know DRC has issues but they do have 4y/50k warranty(although it may not be so easy to claim sometimes).

Cheers

Nick
I normally try to avoid them as well, but this time I was trying to get over to exit and one in between the lanes. It was a mild hit that I would not expect to do any tire or wheel damage let alone suspension damage. I just returned from the dealer and got to look at the trut. As was the case the first time, the strut separated from the base stipping out all the threads on exit. I have sent an e-mail and am awaiting their response.

Has any one had this type of problem with the KW Variant 3?
Old 06-12-2009, 07:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've bent two rims, and blown one tire on SHI&&y NJ roads. With the SLs, on for over a year I have had no problems with them. 50k miles on the car now, and waiting to see if the RS5 makes it over here..Otherwise, still no other car I'd like as a daily. At 35k miles, I had no problems with DRC. Overall it was a softer ride, though that said I have sways on now as well as some stiff rubber...
Old 06-12-2009, 08:27 AM
Former Vendor

Softer springs may help with some of the issues.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a "Lifetime Limited" warranty with your STaSIS Ohlins SL's.

Please call us so we can help!

888-9-STASIS
Old 06-12-2009, 09:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jason@STaSIS
You have a "Lifetime Limited" warranty with your STaSIS Ohlins SL's.

Please call us so we can help!

888-9-STASIS
I spoke direct with Jason and experienced what RS4 RAIDER said, great customer service by Stasis. Thanks for your help Jason!
Old 06-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

With Jason's help have identified the likely cause of my problems. At the time of install I requested that the installer raise the ride height approx 1/2 inch from the initial setting which looked too slammed for me. Jason indicated that when raising the ride height you have to be careful and check the nut on the bottom of the damper assembly to make sure that it has not become loose in the process. If the nut becomes loose, the excess movement will eventually strip away the threads and the damper will separate from the bottom mount. Other than the nut coming loose he could not see why the damper would fail in this fashion. Lesson: make sure to check the bottom nut after any adjustment in ride height.

Quick Reply: Trouble with Stasis SL's - Need Advice