RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Update on the shrill, brain peircing BEEEEEP....(longish)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on the shrill, brain peircing BEEEEEP....(longish)

Well, went to the dealer to look into the mysterious "alarm" of a few posts back...turns out...yeah, I have a jammer. Tech was trying to figure it out, upon opening the glove box, there is a very stock looking on off (|-->0) switch just left of the cd changer. I thought it was the power for the changer. Turned it off and no Beep. Looked carefully in front...two skinny wide sensors behind the lower side grilles by the foglamps. One in the center in back behind rear grille. If I flip the switch while driving, 2 sec beep and nothing more. Car is also hardwired for V1 evidently...Any downside to keeping the jammer?? I guess there could be a hefty fine, but is this a towable offense? Should I remove it? Thanks in advance...I can try to post some pics if I can figure out how...I'll STFA
Old 12-04-2007, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm not sure what states a laser jammer is illegal, but if your state allows it, keep it....

I know you can't have one in VA.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Well I would read the manual first
Old 12-04-2007, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks Fluffhead, but Laser Jammers are illegal in ALL states... I guess I'm asking

what legal and warranty (ie electrical) implications I may face. The guys at the stealership hinted that I may want to keep it. I'm not a huge speeder, but I do dabble a bit. They actually admired the installation, a TRAP?? Sheesh. I just passed inspection today, so I'm good for awhile. Don't get me wrong, this is a good dilemma:-) Thanks, you have the most beautifullest phantom I've seen, along with Vijays...PS: If you don't smoke the side reflectors and do clearcorners...is that legal?
Old 12-04-2007, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thank you Reggie, but it's on order now...

Not really relevant to the question at hand, though....Still really like the white:-)
Old 12-04-2007, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default They arent illegal in all states

Laser/Lidar is regulated by the FDA (unlike Radar, which is regulated by the FCC, which has made it illegal to have a radar jammer because they transmit radio). Laser Jammers are illegal only in states that explicitly make them illegal, such as California, Minnesota, Virginia, etc.

If you search google for "Laser Jammer FDA" or "Laser Jammer illegal" you will find plenty of pages that provide more detail, like <a href="http://www.radarbusters.com/detectorsfaqsarticle.cfm#laser">this page</a>.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks Erik...that your avant?? Nice
Old 12-04-2007, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Sorry Fluffhead, I hapilly stand corrected....see below....(WhO0t!)

Page 4 - Legal issues
The use of a radar detector in a passenger vehicle is legal in all states with the exception of Virginia (sorry Fluffhead), Washington DC. and on military bases.

Radar detectors are illegal in all commercial vehicles weighing over 10,000 pounds

In Canada, the only three provinces that allow their use are Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan.

Many overseas countries also ban their use, such as Portugal, Finland and Spain.

In areas that radar detectors are illegal, law enforcement use a device called the Spectre that is able to detect the use of radar detector in your car or truck. For more information on the Spectre, click here.

Laser Jammers and Radar Jammers are illegal in the states of Nebraska, Minnesota, Utah, California, Oklahoma, Virginia, Colorado, Illinois and Washington DC. (NOT Mass!!)

If you decide to use a laser jammer in one of the states that they are outlawed, consider getting the Blinder M-20 or M-40 or the Lidakek LE-30. The Blinder and the Lidatek are the only laser jammers made today that give minimal "error codes" to the police laser guns.

Radar Detector Types&gt;&gt;
Good for our review, thanks **Casa S4 King**
Old 12-04-2007, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default thanks

I'm surprised you did not get all of this stuff from the original owner
Old 12-04-2007, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Love the Ibis... My 1st choice....as for the manual....

My car was there for about 40 hrs, no title..I did get to drive, put a deposit (returnable) and the deal was 62k for 7700mi, clean, but wouldn't work with me for the only one key/fob, and no manual...still glad for the deal and feel lucky...and now laser jammer and prewired V1 screw the audi ipod. (posted on that in the past) Be well :-)

Quick Reply: Update on the shrill, brain peircing BEEEEEP....(longish)