RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Upgrade exising A6 or buy RS4? Please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade exising A6 or buy RS4? Please help

Thanks. I am new here as I am trying to get some feedback into my car situation.

I own a 2005 A6 V8 4.2L. It is the new body style. It has 47K miles, I have two sets of wheels and tires. Car has been great. It is the S line model.

I am considering a few options, but the two that standout are:

A. Upgrade the A6, for about $10k, to the G4 Supercharger from Pes Tuning, putting it up to 430 hp. Then, spending another $2K for a new lift (body kit)

B. Sell/Trade it and get a used RS4, with about 25K miles, 07 or 08 model. This option would cost about twice as much as option A due to trade in values, etc.

Questions:
Of the two options, which would you choose and why?
Is there another better option within the same financial spectrum as the ones above?

Thanks.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well obviously you are preaching to the quire here.
Try to test drive the RS4 and see how it feels.
It is a great car but it will be a bit smaller than the A6.
Also the suspension and handling will be quite a bit tighter with lots of feedback from the road. But then again it is designed to be a sports oriented car over a luxury car. Also keep in mind the RS4 is a stick vs. an auto. I am guessing you do not mind but sometimes people are used to an auto. Having 2 sets of tires (I am guessing winter and summer) is a good idea and I am guessing it is going to be a daily driver for you. Most likely the extra set of rims will not fit over the RS4 brakes so you will have to plan for that. Also maintenance is pricier on the RS4. Pads, rotors etc..
But the car is a blast to drive and it would give you a smile every time you take it for a drive. Prices have gotten lower thus many people are able to afford it now (myself included) but I am guessing that your car will take a hit. But if you look around you can get some good deals. If you buy privately it would be even better. People suggest to stick to CPO but I did not and I have no regrets. I may decide to purchase an aftermarket policy as I draw near the factory warranty.

Cheers and welcome to AW.

Nick
Old 06-10-2009, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default hmmm

Originally Posted by titsataki
Well obviously you are preaching to the quire here.
Try to test drive the RS4 and see how it feels.
It is a great car but it will be a bit smaller than the A6.
Also the suspension and handling will be quite a bit tighter with lots of feedback from the road. But then again it is designed to be a sports oriented car over a luxury car. Also keep in mind the RS4 is a stick vs. an auto. I am guessing you do not mind but sometimes people are used to an auto. Having 2 sets of tires (I am guessing winter and summer) is a good idea and I am guessing it is going to be a daily driver for you. Most likely the extra set of rims will not fit over the RS4 brakes so you will have to plan for that. Also maintenance is pricier on the RS4. Pads, rotors etc..
But the car is a blast to drive and it would give you a smile every time you take it for a drive. Prices have gotten lower thus many people are able to afford it now (myself included) but I am guessing that your car will take a hit. But if you look around you can get some good deals. If you buy privately it would be even better. People suggest to stick to CPO but I did not and I have no regrets. I may decide to purchase an aftermarket policy as I draw near the factory warranty.

Cheers and welcome to AW.

Nick
Nick pretty much hit it right on the spot. If you're willing to drive stick and a much sportier car, go for the rs4. Prices are pretty low especially with used ones. You will have to be much more attentive to an RS4 than an A6. Cabin is much smaller in the RS4, but to be honest, the truck size is pretty huge. I thought it was going to be 2/3 of what it actually is.

Good luck on your decision.... If it was mine, i'd choose the rs4 any day..... unless it was an old school RS6.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Old school RS6 is nice. there are some out there with decent mileage. Just make sure the DRC is not hosed.

But what about a 07 S6? Price will be comparable to the RS4 (maybe a bit more expensive) and you do get the 5.2 V10 which makes 435 hp. Choices choices...

Cheers

Nick
Old 06-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a 2007 A6 2.8 (see my garage) and a 2007 RS4 (see my garage), first off the 2.8 A6 S-line is probably the most boring car ever manufactured and I regret everyday that I traded my 2007 BMW 530D M-sport for it, which was a blast! The A6 is a over steered sailing boat in comparison to the RS4, with a lazy and heavy 4.2 liter engine in the front.

If you’re looking for something tight, with handling capabilities that goes pretty fast, go for the RS4. If you enjoy driving around while sitting in a living room drinking mambo juice, go for a pimped A6.