RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

VIR track report

Old 11-18-2008, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIR track report

Was at VIR this past weekend, thought I would post some impressions. RS4's were well represented, with 4 cars (I think), all of us on here a bit. So first, very good to meet Chris, Loren, and Justin.

This was my 4th event in this car, but only the second on a dry track, all full-course VIR. This was my first event with the Stasis MS kit. I ran it in the softer track setting. I also ran Porterfield R4 pads front and rear, Pentosin fluid, Bridgestone Potenza Pole Positions. The weather was warmer Saturday, then pretty cold on Sunday, probably 50F tops.

My instructor interestingly was paired with the other sprint Blue RS4. The other car was on stock suspension but with the ceramic brake kit. Lord, do they look sweet! Would really like the confidence, and the ability to virtually forget about prepping the car (90% of my prep time is pad change and flush). My instructor was really impressed by the way they worked.

The most interesting thing to me was the instructor's appraisal of the suspension. Keep in mind that he would get out of a stock car driven by a more experienced driver and get directly into my car. He commented on the difference EVERY SESSION. His descriptions included phrases such as "Night and day" and "This car feels like it is 300 pounds lighter".

I cannot help but agree. It is just an incredible package, very responsive, composed, and so easy to drive. Sunday (colder) I had some mild understeer, but otherwise fantastic. I did not mess with the damper settings. Still, what a great car. The tail wag of the stock suspension under braking is gone. I found I could go extra deep after the back straight and extend the brake zone into the gentle left bend before turn 14. With the stock suspension, ANY turn of the wheel under heavy braking was downright terrifying.

Hopefully some of the other guys will post their impressions too. 3 of the 4 were running Stasis suspension Though I'd probably give a nut for those CC brakes, I would not trade the MS kit for them, even at 1/4 the price. Stock brakes were very good, considering. I had no fade issues.

Great time!
Old 11-18-2008, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Great! I don't know how you set up your MS kit but...

If understeer appeared in the colder weather then maybe you should have softened the front by 5 clicks and/or stiffen the rear by 5 clicks. Of course this all depends on where on the scale your shocks were set up to start with. As a reference on my car I set up the rear 5 clicks from the stiffest position and the front between 10 and 15 clicks from the stiffest position and that usually works real good for me and the car.

This should have alleviated the understeer problem.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Compared to stock...

the rear seemed to me to be much more lively with the next-to-the top track position. The tail wag during hard braking was absent, though, as JMSIV said. I'm afraid I can't make very direct comparisons, as this was the first time I'd been on VIR in the RS 4, so in this car the track and suspension were both new to me.

I was able to put together one very solid session in our next-to-last outing, and I had the camera mounted in the car for it. Unfortunately, I apparently didn't press the power button all the way, so I missed taping that one. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVXsMGPQuoc">Here's</A> the last session, but it was a bit milder and sloppier.

JMSIV, I really appreciate your garage and help with checking on that stuck damper. It was nice chatting with your dad, Jack, and Bro as well. BTW, on Sunday morning, it looked to me like you were enjoying your walk. I didn't even think to pull over to see if you wanted a ride. Sorry! Your wheels were wickedly clean Sunday morning. Did you wash them, or are those Porterfield pads that dustless?

And if anyone's thinking about exhausts, let me say that the Tubi sounds absolutely wicked. In the paddock heard it compared to muscle cars and even a SBC. Very nice choice.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I think you are right. I was struggling with tire pressures.

The car had been setup perfectly the day before, so I attributed the understeer to the tires. I certainly didn't want to get the tires right and then have the suspension setup tail happy. My skills are not ready for that.

Next time... thanks for the tip.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Nice video.... What camera mount are you using?

Had a great time, enjoyed meeting you, and glad that adjuster woke up!

Oh, and was having a nice walk, so no worries. Didn't hop in for a ride with someone until I had finished my coffee

Must get up to Mid Ohio. And hope to see you in April!
Old 11-19-2008, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ah, good.

I'm glad I didn't leave you stranded in the cold. The mount I'm using is <a href="http://www.cruisecam.com/cc.html">CruiseCam's</A> in-car mount. It's sturdy, and has a strap that goes through the camera's hand strap, just in case.

Mid-Ohio is awesome, hope to see you there. April--is that when PCC usually does their spring VIR event?