RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

vs. Nissan Tercel, Echo, Jetta, Bug Turbo, Neon, A4 1.8T

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 08:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vs. Nissan Tercel, Echo, Jetta, Bug Turbo, Neon, A4 1.8T

I am wondering if others are experiencing what I am. When I had my Aston Martin, no one messed with me, not even Porsches or Vettes. I figure they all just thought I had a nuclear reactor under the hood and left me alone. What I had was 420 bhp. The same as my RS4. And my Aston was not faster than a Z06 or 911 Turbo, or even an RS4.

As for my RS4. Those same Porsches and Vettes don't mess with me. I imagine though, for different reasons. They thought the Aston was too fast to mess with. They must think the RS4 is just an A4 with less than 200bhp so why bother. Now I like that, but their reason causes other annoyances.

What makes me think this is that all kinds of folks try to race me. Not in fast sports cars, but in Neons, Echos, Tercels, Jettas, Bugs, and even A4 1.8's and 2.0's. This happens to me all the time. Clearly they all think I am driving an A4 1.8. I don't respond to those, but they are annoying as hell, cuz drivers of those cars tend to be very young and agressive. I responded to what I thought was another RS4 to find that it was an A4 with a body kit on it to look like an RS4. He even had the damn logo. But a closer look revealed he was a pretender.

Are other RS4 owners experiencing the same thing. This is all just annoying really.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I usually ignore everyone...but on Friday driving back from San Diego...

Some dork in a older S4 swoops over from the slow lane to right beside me and is just twisting his body in all sorts of positions and pulls out his camera phone...ok, it's all good, I may have done the same thing 20 years ago...

...but he won't go away..he speeds up to do the front and slows down to the rear and then catches up and is drifting ever so closer....now I'm annoyed. Then he wants to play racer X...I ignore him for two reasons, one I spied a CHP bike officer further back on the on-ramp and two I just don't street race. I will open my car up when safe and frankly when I'm alone with stretches of open road but I have long past the need to prove anything to anyone....

...back to my little monkey friend, he finally gets the message and proceeds to sweep all the way over cutting off three other cars to the nearest off-ramp.

Conclusion, he past his intended exit to play with me...just weird. While I live OC the home of most cars on the planet I have now seen but one RS4 while driving so I guess our cars are not an everyday event for many.

Good with the bad.

Fight on! Beat the Hogs!
Old 03-12-2007, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default YES! YES! YES!

I posted this a short while back......everyone in these little tin pots wants to race. Two nights ago it was a guy in a Honda Civic with a Bumble bee exhaust. WHAT are they thinking? I've really tried to figure this out and my best guess is that cars like your Aston look fast. The RS4, to the unknowledgeable could appear to be just a lightly modded family sedan of sorts, so people say "what the hell, let me see if I can take this guy". That is really the only explanation I can come up with.

Interestingly, my previous car was a highly modded Nissan 350Z roadster. Nowhere near the same class of car as an Aston obviously, but it too *looked* super fast and hardly anyone tried to really race me.

Interesting phenomenon here to say the least.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I thought about this.. Maybe they are excited w/ the RS4 + just want to egg u on to see/hear u accel
Old 03-12-2007, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You better not mess with me. LOL.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts
Default umm, I wouldnt mess with cars like the Aston just out of respect...

regardless of what car I was driving - GT3 or GTi - not because I would be affraid of losing. I think its more of a respect issues...people just have a hard time respecting the speed of an Audi until it proves itself. However, if you were in the Aston and wanted to have some fun, I would oblige.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:29 AM

Default because they don't know $hit.....they don't know anything that without tin can and above 150hp

actually I found lots of mutual respect from Vett, porsche, they follow closely but maintain good distant so you won't feel they pressuring you. I do the same to them.

The dumblist for me is always Mustang GT on top of the list, then follow by trucks and HEMI and SRT-8 what so ever....
Old 03-12-2007, 01:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Yea, I ran out of space . . .

. . . but I would have added Mustangs, Minis, Mazda 3's, Miatas, Eclipses, tuner Integras and Civics. SRT-8's and cars like that at least have some real power to offer up. I have not seen a Mustang 500GT, but that would be ok too. But a bone stock entry level Mustang? I rented one once and thought they forgot to include an engine.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Is that an R1?

Your tail looks moded, but that looks just like my red '05 R1. Nice toys! I like my RS4 and all, but my R1 can eat it for lunch.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Try painting you hood black... its like honey.