RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Water in trunk lid

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 12:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in trunk lid

I am having problems with a new leftover 2008 RS4 I bought 3 weeks ago and wanted to find out if anyone else has seen or heard of this problem. A week after I bought the car, which had been sitting on a lot for over a year, there were two days of straight rain. The next day I had the car washed. The following day I opened the trunk and heard water sloshing in the lid toward the top or leading edge. Water started dripping out between the trunk lid liner and the metal lid. I lowered the trunk and heard the water run back to the back. I removed the two plugs at the bottom of the trunk lid and between 2 and 4 cups of water came streming out.

I took the car to the dealer. They contacted Audi Tech who told my dealer to replace the trunk lid. No questions, no try to look for this or that, just replace the trunk lid. Since this was their immediate response the dealer and I assume that there is a known issue. Has anyone else seen this? I do not want to relace the trunklid on a "new" car even if it is under warranty.

It has rained several times since and no new water has found it's way in.

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have exactly the same problem with the only difference that nobody offered to replace the lid. Instead, the called me and told that there's no problem with my car. I insisted they look again. Still waiting for the response, but I suspect they will not even touch my car...
Old 08-31-2009, 03:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My trunk doesn't appear to leak. I don't drive the car in the rain but wash it plenty so I am basing my comment on that.

Unfortunately, my trunk lid does not seem to be completely aligned. Anyone else's like that or does anyone know how to adjust the trunk lid (left to right)?

Adjusting the trunk lid might be all that is necessary to decrease this water leakage.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

This has been posted before I remember, looks like you have a good dealer. Not sure where it would get in though? I would be worried about rust if you don't replace it or get it removed and treated for rust prevention.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

I called my dealer today to find out that they didn't do a thing to fix this problem on my car because they couldn't reproduce it.

I told them that it's not going to work like that. They have to trust my word because first of all it's not in my best interest to go there, schedule appointments, drive a loaner and call them all the time. Second, I'm not that creative to come up with such a weird complaint.

I told them that they will have to fix it and tell me what exactly they've done to fix it. I also mentioned that people have similar problems and have trunk lids replaced (thank you benonj!). The guy at a body shop told me that they've seen this problem before as well.

Additionally, I mentioned this problem while talking to Audi Customer Care.

I probably should also make sure they treat it for rust prevention unless they replace the lid...

P.S. I might need to look for another dealer...
Old 09-01-2009, 06:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I guess I will do it

Originally Posted by GotRS?
This has been posted before I remember, looks like you have a good dealer. Not sure where it would get in though? I would be worried about rust if you don't replace it or get it removed and treated for rust prevention.
I guess I will let them replace it. I really did not want a painted part that no matter how good the body shop is will never be a perfect match, on a new car. But since this is a real problem I guess I will do it. Thank you all for your replies.

And yes, my local dealer has an excellent service department. It is Audi of Bernardville if anyone wants to know. I have bought Audis from 3 different dealerships in NJ and their service is by far the best.