RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Well I can confirm sparkhill's reports, Hoen city lights will melt your housing

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well I can confirm sparkhill's reports, Hoen city lights will melt your housing

I left them in despite the warning that sparkhill put out. I thought my RS4 was special and it wouldnt happen to me. Well one light blew and I went to check it and noticed a small amount of melting in the housing.

I just don't understand why these run significantly hotter than the stock bulbs.

Anyone find a bluer bulb that doesn't run so damn hot?
Old 07-24-2007, 07:00 AM
JMG
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Well I can confirm sparkhill's reports, Hoen city lights will melt your housing

They run significantly hotter as I understand it based on purely temperature needed to achive a certain color. (Look at and standard color temp chart.)

I assume with light proving source remaining consistant, (filament based, Pressurized Gas, etr...) bulbs need to burn hotter to bring that source of light to the range of color you are trying to achieve. Granted I do not know if this is 100% or even 1% accurate, but it is how I remember it.

Jason
Old 07-24-2007, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Why not just a blue coated bulb to "white out" the yellow of the starndard bulb? w/ same bulb temp
Old 07-24-2007, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I don't think color temperature = thermal temperature.

Thermal temperature is dependent upon wattage of the bulb.

I do agree that in order to achieve the same perceived lumens in a higher color temperature (i.e. bluer) as a lower color temperature, bulbs usually have to run higher wattage. This holds true when comparing bulbs of the same technology only of course (i.e. comparing filament bulb to filament bulb, HID to HID).
Old 07-24-2007, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

See my reply to JMG above.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:59 AM
JMG
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I don't think color temperature = thermal temperature.

This makes sense....

If you've ever been in a car that runs HID look bulbs for their main headlights,(see stereotypical rice rocket) they look great (or at least not yellow), but you might as well be driving in the dark sometimes as they are so dim (lumen output) that they are almost completely usless. If they made them bright enough (lumen output again) they would probably have to run such a high wattage that they would melt entire headlight fixtures.

With that said, in metals color does signify temperature, think red hot to blue hot. Now I again am speaking out of my field, but aren't you esentially heating up a piece of metal in a bulb to achieve a desired color range, in turn running it hotter?

Feel free to expand more for explaination as I am open to learning this correctly.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Those HID-look bulbs do not rely on controlling the color of the filament to achieve the desired col

or. They use coatings that filter out the yellow-red spectrum of the filament's output. This is another reason why, given equal wattage, the HID-look bulbs put out less lumens.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If "sparkhill" tells you the stove is hot, don't touch it.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:03 PM

maybe stick with Hella
Old 07-25-2007, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yea but I'm different.. his reality doesn't apply to mine ;P

Quick Reply: Well I can confirm sparkhill's reports, Hoen city lights will melt your housing