RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

What car detailing materials do you guys use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What car detailing materials do you guys use?

Since now I have a black RS4, do any of you know what cleaning tools I should get to wash and clean my car. eg. hand brushes, chamois

I want to avoid scratching the surface of the car.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:24 AM

Default lamb skin mitts... boar's hair brushes... waffle weave MF drying towels... or the absorber

synthetic chamois.... and the whole Menzerna line or Klasse twins with P21S or Blitz.

wash in straight lines... make sure all equipment is clean before anything touches the paint.... it's the nature of the beast to get scratches, but good technique and proper maintenance will minimize it.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default The "How-to Articles" section at Car Care Specialties has lots of good information.

<ul><li><a href="http://www.carcareonline.com/">click</a></li></ul>
Old 07-12-2006, 02:39 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Lotsa water when washing, don't use detailer spray on a dusty car...

Microfiber is a wonderful product in all phases of detailing...windows, drying, polishing. Apply the ZAINO System on a daily driver as independent test has proven it has the greatest durability. To really "pull" out the depth of shine, and after a complete Zaino treatment, I use Griots Liquid Carnauba spray as my detail spray. The carnauba adds depth. BUT you CANNOT interchange the methods for the polymers (Zaino) with carnauba waxes or any wax. Each treatment is an individual process. The carnauba is the final overcoat, topical treatment whereas the polymers are a bonding to or near the paint surface. Wash the beast, do a 3M Imperial Hand or Machine Glaze, wash it again, use the Zaino System, and whenever you wash it, do a Griots carnauba spray (or any carnauba spray, which is not to be confused with a spray detailer) each wash which adds a few minutes to your time. &lt;Spray detailers have some detergent and alcohol for grime removal&gt; And NEVER NEVER take it thru ANY carwash . I have 15 applications of Zaino on my Silver Bullet, then have applied many coats of the spray carnauba ...over time (letting the finish 'rest' between applications). The Bullet is a 'Garage Queen' I might add. :^))
Old 07-12-2006, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Check out this guide from the detail forum.

<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext51.shtml">detailing</a></li></ul>
Old 07-12-2006, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I use lamb skin mitt (separate mitt for underside, fenders, etc.)....

HIGH QUALITY (70/30) microfiber towel for drying. I use Zaino system and love it. My car, unfortunately, spends a lot of time in the sun and wax doesn't hold up. If it was garage kept I would probably top with high quality carnauba. You should not have to use any machines on a new car. Machines create swirls. All it takes is one grain of sand on the pad. I apply Zaino by hand and try to hose any sand or road grime off before washing. I have had my car for 5 months and still have no swirls (my car has been covered in sand on multiple occasions and once with stucco dust from construction next door). I have used clay once, after a stucco dust storm. Also remember that washing your car should not require much pressure or scrubbing with your mitt (once treated w/ Zaino or other wax/sealer, the weight of the mitt is all it takes to remove most dirt). Come back after rinsing and inspect for stubborn grime. You have to be very **** retentive to avoid swirls on dark paint. ;-)
Old 07-12-2006, 06:16 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice, very nice car. :-)
Old 07-12-2006, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default water and mild pressure is the best way in the initial stage of vehicle cleaning...

rubbing and wiping make scratch.
move straight front to rear and rear to front, not circular.<ul><li><a href="http://www.karcher.de/start/choose_your_language.htm">http://www.karcher.de/start/choose_your_language.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 07-12-2006, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default making sure every speck of dirt is gone before you dry is key.

I use a California Water Blade to start the drying process, then follow with a microfiber towel. Use linear, front to back strokes when washing and drying (not circular).

Quick Reply: What car detailing materials do you guys use?