RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

What to do when RS4 lease runs out?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do when RS4 lease runs out?

It's still a little early, but my lease ends in December. My RS4 has very low mileage but I do like to change cars. Problem is that 3 years later there is nothing on the road that compares. I love the power, style and quattro (I live in Canada and need it!).

My choices will be:
- Buy the RS4 off lease. Probably not a great investment...but the only way to keep it.

- Consider S5. Step down in power of course (I had a B6S4 previously, so it would be like going back to it). I prefer sedan form as I have kids. Upside is I can prob find one with low mileage instead of paying full pop for a new one, maybe drive it for a year or two.

- Consider new S4 if it will even be available in Canada by then??? Also no chance to find a lightly used one even if it's out by then. Unsure how V6-SC will feel coming from big V8's (I had a 2.7TT S4 in 2001...guessing it would be similar to that).

- Go in a completely different direction while I wait out eventual B8RS4 or RS5...

What are others thinking???
Old 02-11-2009, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I guess it depends on what the residual buy out price is vs. the market value

if it makes sense to buy out the lease. With the way these are depreciating, the buy out will be probably higher than the MV.

The new S4 might be a decent replacement but I'd have to drive one first. Stillhoping they bring it in the avant to the US.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: What to do when RS4 lease runs out?

I'd keep the RS4...its funny how before I got mine and would see one on the road I'd go crazy when I saw it, and now that I have one I still get that same feeling when I see it on the road.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Default new Taurus SHO with ecoboost?.....

I kid I kid

How about buy a used S5 then trade it in for an RS5 when that arrives?
Old 02-11-2009, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Used S5 to me but not sure with the kids...other option is the S6s are dropping like rocks if you

still need the 4 doors and room, 2008s are going in the low 50s and i'm sure you could pick up a lease not far off from what the RS4 is. I would not buy out your RS4 as it will be a terrible investment...I made that $25K mistake on my RS6 by purchasing from the beginning and not leasing it...dumb.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Buy it

The residual is probably low vs the value and I would guess that Audi will be offering financial incentives to keep them out of their inventory. 0% would be nice as that is how I purchased my 01 S4 out of lease. Who knows what lending will look like by then??? If inflation hits this year it might change everything.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default leaning towards buying.

the only thing in the pipeline that I could see myself buying would be the RS5. Not sure if it will be here when my RS4 lease is up (June 2010).
Old 02-11-2009, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default shop around...

the rs4 off lease to buy-out will be probably pretty expensive as a canadian buyer. better option is to give it back and buy a used 2008 from the usa, different colour/options etc if you have the urge to do that.
wouldn't recommend the s5, you'll be constantly disappointed by the loss of power and different engine.
or alternatively, give back the rs4, get something else cheap until the rs5 comes out.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I'm exactly in the same boat

I love my RS4, but here's what I have to deal with:

1) Mine has been in an accident + current economy + RS4 resale values + CDN dollar makes the value of this car probably around $35-40 CDN by June when the lease is up. My residual is around $54,000.

2) I talked to the dealership and they said it is not likely that Audi will offer me any incentive to buy the car. They seem to think they can get top dollar for this thing. Yeah right.

3) I cannot think of a single replacement car that I would be happy with right now. NOTHING. Nothing in the market place has what the RS4 has. It's just perfectly complete. The ONLY car I would consider is a GT-R, but I would be gagging every time I got out and looked back at it as I walked away. It just aint pretty. I've tried hard (you know that girl at the bar that you try desperately in your mind to make hot). Just can't do it.

4) There won't be another RS4 for a very long while (if at all). The RS5 is next (if at all) and it seems based on some inside info from a fellow at RS6.com (Qisha), it won't be released until 2010 or even perhaps early 2011. Which means probably late 2011 before the RS5 comes here. Which means to me NO B8 RS4.

5) I need to get another car in June but the only thing on the horizon is the S4, and I mean, come on guys...it's gonna be missing that certain je ne sais quoi that the NA 4.2 has.

So, my plan is this: Give my RS4 back, and look long and hard for a very clean low mileage 2008 from the states and buy it. Keep it for ever, love it, bathe it, clip it, etc...

There is no and will be no other car like it for a very long time. I have a very strong feeling that climate change, economy, etc...will put an end to supercars like this.

Cherish your RS4's boys and girls. It truly is stuff of legends.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Audi dealers in the us have been discounting the buy back lease

a neighbor got another 2 or 3 K off his buy back from a different dealer than his dealer that had the lease.

I think Audi does not want to deal with these cars back on the market

Quick Reply: What to do when RS4 lease runs out?