RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Wheel size

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel size

If I was planning on replacing my wheels with a set of HRE's and I was also going to step up to a 275 wide tire should I go with a slightly wider wheel than stock?

It makes sense to me but I could be wrong.

Thanks
Old 01-03-2008, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default If you are going with a true component build like HRE, get a 9.5" width......

Ideally you want to maintain a similar overall geometry to the stock wheel and add 0.25" to the inside and 0.25" to the outside. Then mount your 275 tire. FYI...MTM's wheel fitment for the RS4 is a 9.5" width, so it definitely works.

I looked into HRE, but to me the cost was not worth the 1 lb weight savings per wheel (at best) and the stock wheels are tough to beat in the looks department.

I recently came across another company called 360Forged. Their wheels are very light but are also a little pricier than HRE.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i think HREs are a ripoff, personally.

and they don't have the greatest reputation among people who have actually owned them...do a search.

consider some of the other custom built alternatives...Fiske, P5, etc. If you talk to the right people, you can even get companies like OZ or BBS to build you a set of wheels that may suit your needs.

I think the wheels that Stasis sells are an excellent choice for the RS4 as well...19x9, 20lbs, forged, and I think they're manufactured by Volk (IIRC)...I would have got these myself, but didn't have the time to wait for them.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default skip hre.. go BBS,Fikse,Kinesis,Champion...

You'll be having them repaired more than they'll be on your car.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I looked into Kinesis when I was shopping for wheels...apparently someone bought them out.

and they're no longer the stalwarts they once were.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sold to Lexani in '06...

Peter Stacey does some consulting for us.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The comedy is...

HRE, DPE and IForged get their wheel barrels from the SAME vendor, last I checked. Yet HRE is many times over the price of IForged.

I like the DPE's and would happily jump on those, but a friend of mine is having BIG problems getting a set repaired after the painting flaked off the lip in one month.

I agree with Ryan here. BBS, Fikse, Kinesis and Champion are premium wheels with a solid reputation.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I completely disagree

I've had a set for the last 4 years & they have been great. Excellent customer service. I once ran over a chunk of brick damaging an inner lip. I sent the wheel back to have the inner replaced, expecting to pay a hefty fee. They declared it a defect, replaced the inner, refinished the wheel, and shipped it back at no cost to me.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default ....

I've done many cars with HRE's at the customer's request... and everyone has come back at least once with a problem. Besides my experience with these wheels i go by my logic of race cars.... There must be a reason why the 4 i mentioned above are used in competition as apposed to the HRE's.

they look good... but unfortunately that is all.

oh and i have 2 in my office that are waiting to be shipped out ...again. (he's going with champion when they are sold)
Old 01-04-2008, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default give me a call...

when your ready for the wheels... i'll take care of you on the price.. even if you go with HRE.

Quick Reply: Wheel size