RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Wow, yes it is a front engine car!

Old 11-30-2006, 11:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow, yes it is a front engine car!

Before I start, I know I shouldn't drive like I'm in Germany, but after being on the Autobahn extensively I just can't understand why we don't have it here, Land of the Free and where any Tom Dick and Dirty Harry can get an Assault rifle. None the less I was driving across country for Thanksgiving and I pull up behind a nameless Nippon mobile who was cruising in the passing lane, I gave him the quick highbeams so he could pull over. Not only does he not pull over, he stays in the passing lane and then quickly brakes from 65 to 35! I slam on my brakes which work excellently but the nose dives hard and the rearend gets a little squirrelly. I have never owned a car with the engine quite so far ahead of the front axle so this came as a surprise! Only time I have felt it, or even noticed the weight upfront. I completely forgot it was a front engine car until that moment. I drove a 1983 911 which had that same crazy feel just in reverse. I am amazed and how well they compensate for the forward engine. I still love the car just a small nuance to get used to .
Old 11-30-2006, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Some people drive really like they own the road... or think they are the speed police!

I am not even remotely surprised to hear you say that someone was cruising in the left lane and wouldn't pull over to let you pass.

During the week of 9/11/01 my wife and kids were stuck in Chicago due to all the aircraft being grounded etc. I drove from Denver to Chicago in about 13 hours, a little over 1000 miles, in my old S4. (I would have been quicker but the last 2 hours or so were through construction doing ~60mph, so not a bad average speed ~80mph. I was obviously driving faster most of the time!).

Anyway, the roads were fairly quiet, but I lost count of the number of times I would come up behind someone and I don't think they even knew I was there. Flashing my headlights had little or no affect and if they did actually see me, they certainly wouldn't move over in a timely fashion.

More often than not I would end up passing them on the right when they wouldn't get out of the way. I was obviously driving pretty quickly and would tend to come up on cars without much warning, but come on people, use your freaking mirrors and learn how to drive!!!

I swear some people just cruise along next to another car and then subconsciously match their speed. I followed some cars for 10-15 minutes before they would finally move over.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default love the "assault rifle" comment

a completely ignorant comment if I've ever read one.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 13 Hrs... dude that is insane time

Thumbs up.

Took me a day and a half to cover Chicago to Boulder. That is one ridiculously boring drive.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Two words: roofing nails

Go to the hardware store, buy a box of roofing nails, keep some in an Altoids tin in the armrest.

Next time that happens, get in front of and just to the right of the guy's right front fender and toss out a handful under his tires.

WIthin a few miles, he's pulled over and on the side of the road.

Alternatively, use marbles....thrown straight up through your sunroof while he tailgates you will result in him having a broken windshield.

Yet another of my favorites is using a can of pepper spray discharged through the sunnroof aiming backwards.

His vents along the bottom of the windshield will draw the spray into the car and cause him to pull over in a big hurry.

For any law enforcement officers reading this, no, I've never done this myself and this post is purely for entertainment purposes.

But joking aside, it is a bummer when road hogs callously block the fast lane. I blame it on poor driver training in this country.

I like to believe that most road rage incidents where people claim to be "innocent drivers" were really fast-lane blockers who pissed off the wrong guy...in that case, they kind've had it coming, don't you think? ;-)
Old 11-30-2006, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

wow, sounds like a fun drive! except for the nuckleheads on the road
Old 12-01-2006, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default The drive back wasn't so much fun...15 1/2 hours. Had to keep stopping for the kids to eat etc...

My wife said, let's stop for the night and finish in the morning when we had about 300 miles to go (mid to late evening). I told her that she was more than welcome to sleep somewhere along the way but I was going to drive on through and wasn't coming back to pick them up!
Old 12-02-2006, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default FWIW: We just had a fatality that was (observably but allegedly) due to an idiot in

a junky pickup doing a brake check on what, by all witness accounts, was an innocent motorist. Passenger dead, driver injured...hit brakes and lost control. I have ceased engaging idiot drivers...easy enough to motor away (04S4) or otherwise avoid someone, and I sort of like my freedom from prosecution. Not to say I haven't been tempted. And just for historical reference: cracker truckers in the south used to employ ball bearings.