S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Heard the hydraulic timing chain tensioner "rattling" on engine start was normal, but....

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heard the hydraulic timing chain tensioner "rattling" on engine start was normal, but....

it sure seems like it is happening more and more frequently. Used to happen abut 25% of the time, now maybe 75% of the time. Do ALL cars make this sound, or only some of them? I want to have the dealer try to fix it, but I need some ammunition. If some cars never make this sound, I might have a shot at getting them to fix it.

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

it happened on my first '04 S4 almost all the time but very rarely on the 2nd one.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I have it, and until it becomes something more than a little noise occasionally at startup

I am not going to mess with it.

I really don't want my engine pulled unless it has to be.

So far from what I've read and heard from others it's normal.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Unless you have alot of faith in your dealership, I would live with it.

I would think more harm could be done with your dealer ripping into the motor than living with a slight noise at cold start-ups.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It happens even on warm starts sometimes, and that has me worried.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

have you thrown a cel?
Old 08-25-2006, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Nope. Only makes a rattling sound for about 1 second after the motor starts.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't know what ammunition you could possibly take with you...

No one has done a poll to find a percentage of cars that do this. The only thing I could recommend is leaving the car with the stealer overnight on a night it will be cold or cool and hope that he hears it. The problem with this (I know because I went through this scenario when I first bought my car) is that, even if they can duplicate it, it's only gonna happen once for them and only for that one second. You really can't discern much from such a brief event. If they want to hear it again they'll have to wait till the next day. My dealer heard it, didn't know what it was, tightened up the belly pan and whatever else they could see and gave me my car back. Since learning what it is, the car has done it less and less with mileage. I hear it about once every two months and it's not as pronounced as it used to be when it does happen. To me, it's a nuance... nothing more.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Since mine does it much more frequently (even when warm), I think they should at least take a look..

I'm concerned that I might not be hearing the same thing everyone else is, and the noise my engine is making is actually something abnormal. haven't heard anyone else's car make the sound, so I can't be sure we're all talking about the same sound.

The sound is quite pronounced on my car and sounds like something is loose and rattling around for a second or two.

I guess I'll see if it keeps getting worse before going after the dealer...

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mine makes a bit of noise @5% of the time. Usually around oil change time

Quick Reply: Heard the hydraulic timing chain tensioner "rattling" on engine start was normal, but....