S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

05 S4(B6) Bose/SympII to RNS-E Upgrade Questions - already STFA

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 S4(B6) Bose/SympII to RNS-E Upgrade Questions - already STFA

Hey there. I have a 2005 S4 (B6) Avant with Bose Symphony II head unit and XM tuner (old one that I guess will need an upgrade to 8E0 057 593 E).

Here are my questions:

1. I have an Avant and in the rear left compartment where my XM sat tuner is there are three connectors bundled together: green, curry and blue. I know the green and curry connectors are plugged into XM Sat tuner (i did the install), and the blue connector I assume is the GPS Fakra connector. The question I have is whether that blue GPS connector is coming from behind the head unit or from the Sharkfin antenna? Do I need to run the Sharkfin extension cable from this to front when I install the RNS-E? Kinda lost here.

2. What is my best option for Ipod interface? The new Dension interface that was posted on Fourtitude? I would like to do it now when I do the RNS-E upgrade, but if the control factor sucks maybe SD cards are the way to go....

3. As for SD cards on RNS-E, will SDHC cards work in the SD slot? I saw in archives that they won't, but I am not sure.

Thank you for your help!
Old 12-21-2008, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I don't know about the Avant, but just did RNS-E in my '05 Sedan

In the sedan the blue connector from the sharkfin is under the headliner cover on the rear glass passenger's side, if that is any help. If you have the GPS extenssion cable you can hook it up between RNS-E and that blue connector without hiding the cable and check that you get 6-8 satellites outdoors to be sure. I suspect the connector you see runs to the sharkfin, so GPS could be added w/o having to pull the headliner apart.

I also heard that SDHC cards did not work in RNS-E, and that there is a limit of 400 tracks per card that it can read. 400 tracks is usually more than 2 GB. I have only found Transcend 4GB SD (not SDHC) cards that exceed 2GB, and they work fine in my unit, and 400 songs is more than 3GB.

I also added an "E" series XM tuner to my RNS-E. However, while the XM tuner unit activated and controls fine, I still do not get all stations. I bought a used unit on eBay, and I have read that the XM and Sirius tuners "marry" to the car and cannot be used in another car, or that you will have problems as I am if the previous owner did not deactivate the unit (anti-theft, but more like max-profit). Will work on this later this week.<ul><li><a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208411&amp;Tpk=TS4GSD13 3">Transcend 4GB SD cards at Newegg</a></li></ul>
Old 12-21-2008, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks Clark. Where did you run extension cable?

Did you run it along door sills?
Old 12-21-2008, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

You are right about the SCHCs
Old 12-21-2008, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Search is your friend

I did this and yes - the blue one is from the sharkfin.

You need to run extension to the front, in the side sills and then across to the center console.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4b6/msgs/449618.phtml">Clicky here</a></li></ul>
Old 12-21-2008, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Cool Carl, saw your other thread and was just about to PM you, but...

I clicked on that link and see what you are talking about, but is there any other link showing how to get the GPS lead to the front through the rear compartment, sills, etc?

Thanks!
Old 12-21-2008, 02:22 PM

Default Re: 05 S4(B6) Bose/SympII to RNS-E Upgrade Questions - already STFA

i believe i saw a good article at audizine<ul><li><a href="http://www.thetunertrader.com">used luxury cars</a></li></ul>
Old 12-21-2008, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yes. Pushed the cable under the sills from rear seat to front

First I pushed the cable under the trim going down along the glass and rear seat (just pulled seat forward, did not remove any trim). Then pushed the cable under the sills up to the passenger's footwell. I then removed the glovebox and tie wrapped the cable off to an existing cable run and ran it over to the head unit.

Some have said you can get the cable to the head unit w/o removing the glovebox. But the glovebox removal for me was a 5 minute job as I removed it recently to replace a broken door hinge.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default ...

?
Old 12-21-2008, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smells like a ban to me....

Quick Reply: 05 S4(B6) Bose/SympII to RNS-E Upgrade Questions - already STFA