AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b6-b7-platforms-discussion-49/)
-   -   Axel Mees Vice President of Audi of America has left the Company effective immediately. (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b6-b7-platforms-discussion-49/axel-mees-vice-president-audi-america-has-left-company-effective-immediately-2551826/)

CBS4 11-17-2004 08:42 AM

Axel Mees Vice President of Audi of America has left the Company effective immediately.

dojo 11-17-2004 08:45 AM

whoa, for a second there I felt like I was on AWOT

T E H official source of all things current.

ooooh gimme da details...

"sits back and waits for the popcorn to pop while this story develops"

Full report at 11! ;P

Captain Sheetmetal 11-17-2004 08:45 AM

Hey buddy! So what does that meen for us?

JDBlueAudiS4 11-17-2004 08:46 AM

lol

neilm 11-17-2004 08:53 AM

Where did you get this information?

CBS4 11-17-2004 08:57 AM

A fax sent to our dealership from Audi of America.

dojo 11-17-2004 09:02 AM

that you should enable spell check?

meen?

hehe.. sorry, I have a little free time today and obviously a wee bit punchy...

just givin ya sheeiit..

too good to be true 11-17-2004 09:10 AM

Should we care? I'm not sure... What did this dude do, besides take home a phat paycheck + bonus.

AtlasD3Miami 11-17-2004 10:09 AM

Open mouth, insert foot...

VW Overestimated Brand Reach, U.S. Audi Exec Says

VW may return to building more affordable vehicles, after the lackluster reception for the Phaeton luxury sedan.

San Francisco - Volkswagen AG's efforts to expand the VW brand into the luxury segment may have been a mistake, Audi of America Inc.'s top executive says.

The comments are the latest evidence of a tussle within the VW Group, where executives appear to be second-guessing the launch of the up-market VW Phaeton luxury sedan.

The Phaeton has been a disappointment for the VW brand, with sales this year in the U.S. totaling only 1,433 units through October, according to Ward's data. The auto maker earlier said it expected to sell upwards of 2,500 units of the luxury sedan in the U.S. in 2004. If October's total volume of 305 units is a proper barometer, it appears Phaeton sales may reach only the 2,000-unit level.

Now, one of auto maker's top U.S. officials is publicly questioning whether the move was too ambitious.

"I think Volkswagen underestimated the weakness of their brand in the luxury segment," Audi of America head Axel Mees tells reporters here during a media rollout of the 2005 A6. "I think they realized the Phaeton... was a first step too fast into a direction they wanted to go.

"VW overall isn't ready to offer successfully cars in that price range, whatever they do," he adds. "It can be the best car (but) I still will not buy it because it has a VW logo." Mees says executives in charge of the brand at the time of Phaeton's development, most notably CEO Ferdinand Piech, were zeroed in on the wrong aspects of the VW organization when they developed the sedan.

He says the leadership was too focused on the engineering side of the business and the need to develop a top-notch luxury vehicle for the VW brand.

"He (Piech) wanted to prove he could build a good car. He didn't look at the marketing aspect, the brand aspect," Mees says.

VW also suffered from a long-standing image that relied on more affordable products, including the Jetta and Golf, the Audi executive says, adding that many VW dealers were ill prepared to meet the needs of luxury-vehicle buyers. They had a history of dealing with customers spending around $20,000 for a vehicle, not those willing to spend upwards of $80,000 or $90,000, he says.

"They overestimated the power of the Volkswagen brand," Mees says.

It is likely VW will shift its focus in the coming years and return to its roots: building high-quality, affordable cars, and potentially leaving the luxury side of the business to the Audi brand, Mees says.

"The VW model range will be gradually going down (range)," he says. Whether VW now will leave the luxury sector to Audi "is too early to tell," he adds.

TonyG3 11-17-2004 10:21 AM

he was a former bmw exec. fyi