S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Getting Build Info

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting Build Info

I recently ordered a new S4 and have a build number. How do I access information on the status of my order/car? TIA
Old 12-22-2003, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Your dealer can provide you the information. I wish they had a way to track status online.

You can call Audi Distribution yourself, but this is not intended for customers. If you call them you need to not sound like a customer. You will need your commission number for them to lookup status. If you want the tel#, just use the search function and search for "audi distribution"
Old 12-22-2003, 04:49 PM

Default You may have to talk to a few different sales people

or the sales manager. Often only one or two people at the dealership know the system well enough, and understand the build process well enough, to be able to give you this info. Just work at it & figure out who at the dealership is capable of answering those questions
Old 12-22-2003, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default "Build number" --- Audi frustration

I've never heard that particular term before - are you sure they didn't tell you a "commission" number?

If so - that number doesn't mean much. It means that your order is in the "order bank" which is a stack of orders that Audi of America has in their files. All it means is that Audi has received your order.

Your car is NOT in line to be built, however, until your dealer receives an allocation and your order is "pulled for production." That brings up the entire allocation issue, and suffice it to say that it's a confusing and irritating process.

I ordered my car in May or so, and received a commission number. In mid-August, Audi of America customer relations told me that "commission # means nothing" and there was no guarantee my car would ever be built. They promised my dealer would get an early allocation, but that didn't happen. A few weeks later the first cars started appearing at the dealers, and I gave up. I found a car at a different dealer. It wasn't exactly what I wanted, but I bought it just to avoid any further wait. It had become apparent that I wouldn't see the car I ordered until early 2004, if ever.

Once your dealer has an allocation and your order is "pulled for production," your Audi brand manager can look up your information any time he likes on their computer. You can get info regarding expected build date (which week of the year); and as it goes through the production process you can get a completion date, shipping date, est. arrival date, etc.

However, only your dealer can access that info. There's no web access. Most sales people are clueless, but there will be at least one manager at the dealership who knows how to look it up -- and that's the guy you need to get friendly with!

Good luck. I hope your experience is not as frustrating as mine was. This is my 9th Audi Quattro, and I think they would want to take better care of a loyal customer. But they don't. I'm pissed off enough at Audi that I'd like to buy from someone else, but nobody has anything comparable to the S4. If the M3 ever comes out in an awd version - Audi can wave goodbye to me.

DMoore
'04 S4 Avant
Old 12-23-2003, 05:56 AM

Search for the 800# for Audi distirbution on this site and act like a dealer