S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Heard the hydraulic timing chain tensioner "rattling" on engine start was normal, but....

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Normal is a bad word to use for this particular problem. Chronic problems with the tensioning chain and guides is a common "normal" problem with Audi's across a broad range of models. I had the problem with less than 80k on the odom. IMHO it's a design flaw that Audi has failed to address, but I'm sure Audi and your friendly Dealer will characterize it as, normal wear. You can pay out of your own pocket to fix it, or live with it. Failure to get it fixed will eventually cause timing issues...so you can't leave it forever. That said, you can leave it that way for some time, as long as you don't intend to keep your car. No matter what you call it, it means the life of your engine is far less than what any poor quality car might be.

Audi clearly is going to do nothing about it and continue to let their customers deal with it themselves. Audi...Love 'em or leave 'em.

Originally Posted by wild
My 05 S4 Cabrio does the same thing most of the time. Probably more often during the winter (ave -25 to 0 degrees Celsius). It sounds like the noise that a bicycle chain makes when it comes off the pedal crank and rubs against the enclosed cover that old bikes used to have decades ago. My trusted Audi Tech said that it is normal. It is the timing chain making the noise which lasts about a second or two.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

guys dont worry about tht i got my mechanic cheek my car and he said its fine .it just becouse of lack of oil .tht is why its only doing it for just few seconds .
Old 10-31-2012, 06:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

There is nothing normal about that. If you haven't had problems with timing or misfires, you will. It's all a matter of time. The problem will continue to worsen. I'm on the same boat as everybody else. I'm re-evaluating my loyalty to Audi. It seems like the older cars were more reliable.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey all, im new to the forum and new to owning an Audi.
I bought a 2005 2.7L Allroad last April, and love the car. it only has 85k, and i have had minimal problems... until recently.

I read this whole thread and it sounds like i may have cam chain tensioner issues.
about a minute after cold startup, i get a whirring/slight ratteling noise.
The only difference im getting compared to the above descriptions is that my noise sticks around for several minutes (only at idle) after driving it around town, and putting it back into park, the noise does not return. (its -15C here btw)
i took it to a local trusted audi/vw shop and they used the stethiscope to try and pinpoint the sound. They took of the timing belt cover and noticed some play on the belt. they also noticed a very slight amount of rubbing on the plastic cover they took off, but no visible wear on the belt. after further investigation, they found the timing belt tensioner to be quite weak. so i gave them the ok to replace it.
Note: my timing belt was replaced at 60k in 2010. the water pump was also replaced.
we thought this would solve the problem. but the next day, the same noise returned at idle, and once again didnt return after driving across town to work.

Any advice would be so greatly appreciated!! if its the cam chain tensioner... so be it. but i need some confirmation before i drop $1500 to replace it.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 09-14-2013, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default s4 start up rattle

Originally Posted by audifanboy
Oh, as a follow up, it makes this noise when the car first starts up, because the oil pressure hasn't come up yet, as soon as the car's oil pressure comes up it will stop. That's why you only hear it when the car first starts. You can ignore it for quite some time, but eventually, the engine's timing will be effected, and fail. So if you want to keep the car, you'll need to get it fixed. Welcome to the Audi Money Pit.
Anyone use accusump? 400.00 FIX?
Old 09-14-2013, 09:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

this has been discussed, covered and documented very very thoroughly on the other audi forums that don't suck uselessly.
go to audizine and search it out (cold start rattle); there are multiple worthwhile threads to read.
no, the dealer isn't gonna help you.....unless you're an attorney.