S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Intermittent Power Steering Loss on startup

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Power Steering Loss on startup

I've had my power steering fail 3 times now on start up in the mornings (garaged car, no adverse weather in San Francisco).

Basically, I start it up and realize as I'm backing the car out that I have no power. It restores 5-15 seconds later however it seems a bit whacked that this would happen.

A bigger concern is the off chance that I lose it in the twisties on the way home some dark night on Hwy 1.

After the first time I brought it into the dealer (when I asked them to take a look at the rough idle issue) and they said that they checked the fluids, etc for the steering and found no issue.

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if there is any direction I can provide the dealer to address this.

I'm a bit reluctant to take it back to them and have them tell me, "it's fine" again when I know it isn't.

Thoughts?

Black 08 Cab
Old 04-02-2008, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Intermittent Power Steering Loss on startup

It has happened to my cab 2 or 3 times since I got the car and has since gone away... I'm keeping an eye... I too am in the bay area and found no link to outside temp.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Loss as in it becomes hard to turn the wheel?

There is a relay under the dash that could be the culprit. It is for the servotronic variable boost of the power steering. Some people pull this relay because they feel the steering is over boosted. Do a search for 'servotronic relay'

My guess is this relay is failing or has a bad connection in its harness.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I second that...That relay could be the culprit...BTW, if you lose power assist boost...

in the twisties, it'll just tighten up the steering but your ability to keep the car in control, should not be an issue...
If that at all doesn't ease your mind.

BTW again, if you want further information about that relay (Servotronic), feel free to click on my sig for some insight.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:53 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I assume your PS fluid is at or above the Max line.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:07 AM

Thanks all for the replies. jbajor, good to know I'm not completely alone on this one.

DrGP, I'll check the fluids again (they have been at or above each time I've check so far).

If it continues, I'll ask the dealers to focus on (or just replace) that relay just in case.

Best,
-jb
Old 04-03-2008, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default happened about three times for me as well - you are certainly not alone. however, as the Guru of

all mods aka Eddie Man is saying, it's not dangerous at all. on the contrary, more like fun. if anything could be considered dangerous, it would be taking a turn at low speed, where the overboost sends you into the curb :-(
oh, and, of course, it does idle rough at times, and, of course, 1st gear is hard to engage from time to time, but, hey we still love them, don't we :-).
Old 04-03-2008, 12:49 PM

Default Yes, we do love them...

Yes, we do love them...

Top down...
threshold braking into the turn...
limit of adhesion through the apex...
bragh-agh-agh-agh-agh out to to the next one...

<all the while hoping bambi doesn't jump out in front of you cuz that'll definitely leave a mark>
Old 04-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have had the same experience also. Waiting until I bring it in for next service
Old 04-07-2008, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

It happened to me twice as well, but since it always started up again, I never worried about it.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Power Steering Loss on startup