S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Just got the definitive Audi policy on oil consumption (INTERESTING, but not surprising)

Old 11-25-2006, 04:20 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Just got the definitive Audi policy on oil consumption (INTERESTING, but not surprising)

About 10 days ago I called Audi Customer care and asked them what was Audi's policy on oil consumption. the rep told me then what it was but offered to send me a written notice. I could scan the letter and post it, but my scanner is not working that great. So in the interest of saving time I will reproduce the leter VERBATIM leaving out only the adresses.(Words in parentheses are my own)

"Dear Mr ******:

Thank you for contacting Audi Customer Care with your questions regarding the oil consumption in your S4.(which for me has been ZERO). As you requested, I am sendingyou this informationin writing.

All properly operating internal combustion engines use a certain amount of oil to lubricate the elements that separate the combustion chamber from the crankcase, as well as those areas which are exposed to the hot gasses and flame of the combustion process. This oil is burned by the engine and processed through the exhaust system and related controls. The rate at which your vehicle's engine will consume oil depends on the quality and viscosity of oil, the speed at which the engine is operated, the climate, road conditions,HOW THE VEHICLE WAS INITIALLY DRIVEN (my caps).Another factor is the amount of dilution within, and oxidation of, the lubricant.

Because of these variable, it is difficult to establish a standard rate of oil consumption. It is our belief that using up to one quart of oil per 1,000 miles of driving is within an acceptable range. As one would expect, oil consumption can go up or down depending on individual driving habits. If you have not already done so, you may consider having an oil consumption test performed by your dealer to find if you vehicle's consumption rate is within range. They will also be able to tell you of any conditions contributing to the rate of oil consumption(????).

Thank you for providing me with the opportunity to respond to your questions. Please know that we recognize the significance of your purchase, and naturally, your satisfaction is important to us.

Should you have any future questions, please contact your audi authorized dealer or call me through Audi customer Care at (800) 822-2834.

Sincerely,
(SIGNATURE)

Elizabeth Withers
Audi Customer Care
Audi of America, Inc."

Not trying to start any type contoversey. But I had previously posted that I would post this info when I got it. Just one comment. Since my S4 has NEVER used ANY oil, according to this letter, it must not be operating properly. I would take this letter for the OFFICIAL Audi policy on oil consumption, not specific to any one car or engine.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default little less the half a bottle before 5000 mile service>>

with driving mostly autobahn...Service reports for both my VW and Audi that breakin should take about a liter of oil. So far they were not to off. VW jetta TDI has taken a quarter of a bottle so far with 2500 miles...I think that VAG's take some oil up front but should mellow out after that...BTW all of my other cars used some oil in the breaking period, from Honda accord to current Volvo XC90....I think the only cars that didnt was the ones i didnt pay attention to. Cheers.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:25 PM

Default If I ever have this problem I would not take it to Audi but

the EPA I sure the do not mind if every 1k Audi puts 1 quart of oil into the air.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:00 AM

They are just covering there butts. 1 qt every 1k is a lot of oil to burn