S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Newbie help needed after 2 weeks of S4 ownership

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 12:13 PM
Sev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie help needed after 2 weeks of S4 ownership

I bought a 2004 S4 two weeks ago. The car has approx 50k miles, it is completely stock and is a CPO.

Here are my questions about the car after 2 weeks of ownership:

1) Car seems to wander a lot on uneven roads, especialy at higher speeds, even after an alighnment, it still wanders a whole lot compared to other sports cars. is this normal?

2) When i first start the car in the morning, shifting is a real bitch, it isn't easy to get into first gear or reverse, moreso than the normal morning, the car isn't warm thing that I've experienced on other cars, is this normal?

3) when i turn the steering wheel all the way, there seems to be a slight grinding style noise, not sure of it is from the steering system or the AWD diff, is this normal?

4) what is the best solution for pedal kits, heel and toe sucks crap on this car, did a lot of reading and there doesnt seem to be a generaly accepted solution to raising the gas pedal higher.

5) what is a good short shift kit and how is easy is it to install?

6) I can't seem to get comfortable in these seats, my lower back seems to hurt after a drive, any suggestions?

7) What motor oil should I run in this car? The manual says 0w30..

Thank you all for your help.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:37 PM

Default Alignment double check. Tire Size double check/1st gear is the hardest gear in this car, but not a..

bitch, you should have it looked at/never heard a grinding noise in mycar/UltimatePedals.com/Strat SS or Nuespeed-Goober can give you step by step direcitons..(approx 2hrs)/your seat is not adjusted properly. Either don't sit like a gangsta or press the button to get some lower back support/mobil 1.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6

1. Probably your tires. Some designs (especially those with a center rib) will "track" imperfections in the road. Check your tire pressure. If it is too high it will exacerbate the problem.

2. Fairly normal for this transmission. Some have gone to a different transmission oil. search the archives.

3. First check your power steering fluid level. If the sound occurs while you are moving, a low volume sound is normal when you have the wheel cranked all the way.

4. I Have the AWE kit and I placed some washers under the pedal to raise it. With a little self-training I can heel-toe very easily now.

6. You're probably like many of us that required many different adjustments to find the right settings. It can be frustrating but now that I have the seat set right, they are probably the most comfortable seats I've ever owned. For me, I had to lean the seatback farther than I normally would. This resulted in my lower body sliding forward a little more. This put the lumbar support a little higher in my back.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

At least you were in a nice car.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

you do know you can move the lumbar up and down on your own...
Old 04-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Sev

Default Clarifications

Thanks guys.
For the seat, i've tried everything, messing around with the lumbar support... many positions, doesnt seem to help.

For the car wandering, it is the stock Continental at 39psi in the front as recommended. That is a little high, i don't know why audi recommends that, I will drop them and see if there is an improvement.

Please keep answers coming.

Also, this car has a timing chain right?
Old 04-16-2007, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, I know that.

It wouldn't adjust high enough for me.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

gotcha
Old 04-16-2007, 02:02 PM
AJG
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sounds like tires.

1. It sounds like you are describing tramlining. Is your car trying to follow ruts/grooves in the road? If so, tires are the biggest component of this. Try a tire with a different tread pattern next time. This alone could correct the issue. Alignment could also be an issue, look into the camber and tow in particular. If those don't take care of it, wear on the suspension could be allowing a little bit of play in the tires.

2. I have not experienced this problem.

3. Sounds like the AWD diff.

4. I have no idea. When I have the brake pedal depressed, the gas seems to be close enough to where I want to not be a great problem. Still, I agree that the pedal positioning/shape is not ideal.

5. Don't know. But I liked the UUC kit in my B5 S4. I have no idea whether UUC makes one for the B6.

6. Play with your seat adjustments. It is hard to imagine that you could not get these seats set to your liking.

7. 0W30 should be fine.

Have fun!

Andrew
Old 04-16-2007, 05:31 PM
Sev

Default Re: Sounds like tires.

Thanks Andrew.
I reduced the tire pressures as recommended by a member from 39 psi front to 36psi. I will try and see. Tires are the original stockers. I might try rotating front to back to see if there is a difference.

Quick Reply: Newbie help needed after 2 weeks of S4 ownership