S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Pouring oil from bolt for the tube at bottom of engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pouring oil from bolt for the tube at bottom of engine?

I have a baaaaaad oil leak (steady stream, but only when running) and put the front clip into service position to diagnose. Along the bottom front of the engine is a pipe that I assume carries oil in it. I can see the leak is coming from behind the snub mount and 'appears' to be coming from a bolt for the flange for this particular pipe. I don't know if this bolt threads into an oil galley or the oil reservoir / pan area, but I don't see how a bolt could leak any other way. The oil is pumping out pretty good though and defies convention that it could get past threads that fast, but I could be wrong. I know the oil cooler is up above this pipe on the side of the block, but don't know if oil would run down the front of the engine if the cooler was leaking. So, what is this pipe? I assume it has an o-ring or seal? Is it known to leak or should I be tearing down further and look into the cooler? Thanks!
Old 01-24-2018, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NEVERMIND. I see from browsing ECS that the pipe in question is a coolant pipe. I guess I have some more teardown to do!

Is there a way to remove the entire front clip w/o evacuating the A/C system? I'm sure I could hang the evaporator core from the hood or something else, but really don't want to break open the system. I have a pump, so can vacuum and recharge, but I have no way to recover the current refrigerant.