S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

thinking of getting ecodes but, not sure where to get them...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking of getting ecodes but, not sure where to get them...

also, i've searched through the archives and noticed that there are bi-xenon and single xenon versions...

i've looked online, and the only place i've found a set are at ecs <a href="http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi/?html=learnmore.html&productID=4419">clicky</a> which version are they single or bi?

anyone know where else I might be able to get a set?

and also, what the hell is the difference between bi-xenon and single xenon?

EDIT: I believe <a href="http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi/?html=learnmore.html&productID=3946">these</a> are the ones everyone recommends correct?

I still don't understand the difference between bi-xenon and single xenon... thanks in advance.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Bi-Xenon is where the high beam and low beam is a xenon light.

single xenon's have a halogen high beam and a xenon low beam.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default just visited actuning.com their shipping prices are CRAZY but...

I think I found my answer... the quoted was listed on actuning.com "These are the "bi-xenon" housings which have an electronically controlled shutter which opens to let more light out of the xenon projector when the high beams are activated."

<a href="http://shop.achtuning.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=284">Bi-xenon</a>

<a href="http://shop.achtuning.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1112">Non bi-xenon but, chrome finish</a>

<a href="http://shop.achtuning.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=285">Non bi-xenon dark finish</a>
Old 01-15-2008, 05:45 AM

Default Bi-Xenon are Xenon high beams too as opposed to regular halogen..

I got e-codes here:<ul><li><a href="http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shared/part_detail.cfm?PMaI=1&amp;PMoI=32&amp;PEI=5&amp;P P=B6_s4_exterior.cfm&amp;PPT=Exterior&amp;IL=b6eur olights">AWE</a></li></ul>
Old 01-15-2008, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default alright... anyone think I should go with AWE vice achtuning? (more)

only reason I ask is, achtuning accepts paypal, and I've got all the $$$ from selling my old B5 stuff sitting in there...

Thanks for all the info!

I'm about to do a search for a nogaro blue with the ecodes installed to see what they look like...
Old 01-15-2008, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'd call Brian at Avalon 303 400 3001

I dont know what supply levels are looking like right now, but I know that a few months ago, e-codes were scarce.

Here is a brief description of single xenon vs bi-xenon

Single Xenon: the lowbeam is a high intensity bulb that uses a projector, while the high beam is an H7 halogen bulb in the reflector portion of the lamp. When the running lights are switched on, the city lights are activated (and not the side markers like US lamps). The city lights stay on when the lowbeams are on.

Bi-Xenon: the lowbeam is a high intensity bulb that uses a projector with a different lens than the single xenon (search the archives, there was an A6 owner who did a through comparison), when the high beam is activated, a deflector plate inside the projector (between the lens and the bulb) moves, allowing the beam pattern to change, thus allowing light to go higher than the lowbeam cutoff. If I am not mistaken, there is also an H7 bulb that gets activated if you flash your high beams without the lowbeams being on (i.e. flash to pass). City lights behave the same as the single xenon.
From my research, there are 3 downsides to the Bi-Xenon.
-First is the tendency to leak and get fogged up
-Second, I found a few posts on here that said (and described at great detail) that the lowbeam output of the bi-xenon lamps was inferior to the single xenon. This means that the light output was dimmer and the cutoff was not as sharp. I personally use the high beams so seldom that I couldnt justify the 'coolness' of bi-xenon at the expense of the lowbeam performance.
-Third, given the above facts, I could not justify paying more for less.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:10 AM

They both are made by Valeo and identical units....personal preference....
Old 01-15-2008, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default yeah, I saw the same posts about the single being better than bi... I too, seldom use my brights...

my mind is made up as far as which to go with...

thanks again fellas!
Old 01-15-2008, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default After running ecode bi-xenons for about 2 years, I've recently switched to ecode single-xenon setup.

same bulb, same ballast, better and more uniform light output.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default good call

definitely listen to casa*s4*king, as he knows his ish about headlights.

the single-xenon setup is closer to the e-codes on the B5 S4 just because there are less moving parts, and we all know that the fewer moving parts, the fewer chances of something screwing up...

Quick Reply: thinking of getting ecodes but, not sure where to get them...