S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Took a HUGE chance - first steps?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took a HUGE chance - first steps?!

Sooooo I found a 2005 S4 in pretty good cosmetic shape, but it has a huge oil leak. Owner said it showed up two weeks ago when he took it to a shop and they talked him into a fuel and oil flush. He stopped driving it b/c his wife was cutting funding on the "money pit" (shop quoted $600 to diagnose). Anyway, I checked the car out and I'm thinking it's likely an o-ring, some oil hose, etc - it's a pretty fast leak from RF engine area. Here's the true risk though...
I rented a trailer last weekend to go pick it up and he couldn't find the title, so the deal didn't happen. He told me he felt bad and would deliver it to me. He pulls up today w/ it on a tow dolly!! It was a 45 mile drive, he was doing 60-65mph, and had it in neutral. The car is a tiptronic; my stomach was in knots! I didn't smell burnt fluid and b/c of the fast oil leak, I couldn't really drive it (around the neighborhood wouldn't be a good indicator anyway). I decided to buy the car after some renegotiating. I don't have much into this (1800), so it was worth the risk to me considering the potential. I'm definitely going to change the trans fluid, but am new to quattro. I imagine the rear diff is fine (gear oil?), but what about center diff? Anything else I should consider besides lining up a new drivetrain? Ha
Old 11-25-2017, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Doesn't sound good. Probably will need a new transmission or a complete rebuild. I was cringing reading your post. Just awful. Good luck and I hope there isn't too much damage.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I forgot to ask in first post, but are there are known weakpoints of this transmission? What is the power rating for a factory unit? Any reputable rebuilders? I'm sure the cheapest route is just buy a used unit from a yard / ebay (seems to run 700-800), but I figure if I'm going to go through all of the work, I may want to "bulletproof" it while I'm at it. My ultimate goal is to supercharge this car and even though I fully expected to have $10k in it, I hadn't originally budgeted for a new driveline!

As of now, I've ordered AAA in case I get stranded and a trans service kit from JHM. I'll start tearing the front end down to try to locate this oil leak. It only happens when running, so it's definitely pressure induced and makes me think it's a blown o-ring, cracked rubber hose, etc (it leaks way too fast for a valve cover in my opinion). I'm open to suggestions on items to check out or replace anyway for PM measures. Thanks!