S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Two Modules, Still Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two Modules, Still Problems

2004 Audi S4 140,000k miles.

I keep this car in the garage. I am missing two of the three splash guards underneath so I try not to drive it in the rain. When I left it was raining lightly but why I was gone it decided to downpour. I always avoid all puddles in all cars but this was unavoidable.

All of the sudden the horn blows non-stop. The flashers start going on and off by themselves. I was in residential area with the horn blaring so I had no choice but to keep going until I was away from peoples homes. This was 10-11pm. When I finally got the cover for the fuses off the horn fuse popped right before my eyes.

I limped home with the flashers coming on every so often. Sometimes it let you turn them back off at the button, sometimes not. Sometimes pushing the horn button turns the flashers off. Sometimes turning the headlights on and off turned the flashers off. Sometimes the door locks liked to join in the fun. Sometimes, never all times. No ryme or reason.

In my mind a bunch of relays are on a PCB somewhere that burned up or got hot and hot solder or burned circuits is changing how energy is flowing through the board. Too many things effected for it to be two or three wires melted together. Gotta be a module.

I let the car dry in the garage for three days with the battery disconnected on the battery tender.

When I came back to it only one problem remained. The flashers come on as soon as you connect the battery and remain on. Doesn't matter if the car is on or not.

So I come here and read to the end of multiple threads and decided to change the comfort control module under the driver side carpet. I got the replacement module all hooked up and it still it has the flashers problem.

So I read a few more threads and find that I hadn't read enough threads the first time, this time I read into VW threads on the same issue. I see that the problem is not the comfort control module but rather the module behind the fuse box next to the steering column. The one with the relays clipped to it.

I just got done and and NO MORE FLASHERS! Yay!

I thought all problems were solved and I put the car back together. I went to pull out of the garage and the headlights and the turns signals dont work. Grrrrrrrrr.

Is it possible it doesn't like the comfort control module?

My next step will be to put the old comfort control module back in with the new relay/power module and see if it works.

There was no water ingress in the CCM, that box under the carpet showed no signs of ever having water in it. I think water is getting in the back right trunk are and the drain whole was used by the stereo installer as a ground, so water couldn't get out. I disconnected the siren back there before I did all of these because I think thats what went under water and caused all the problems.

Any master mechanic insights? I sure would appreciate some.

Thanks,