S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

** TPMS & Gearbox Malfunction Flashing On **

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default ABS sensors or speed sensor?

Hi,

I noticed that the speedo went to 0 briefly when the dash complained about the tranny. 2012 cars (I'm not sure about the S4, but a lot of the As) now use ABS sensors for TPMS. The car also uses them to determine slip (hence the traction control light), and they are also used to compare with tranny speed to detect transmission slip (hence the tranny warning when speed goes to zero). I would suspect an ABS sensor or another (possible) rpm sensor in the transmission. Computer gremlins are also a possibility, but all the faults I see on the dash so far are related.

I love the 'low octane' excuse....
Old 05-16-2012, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikem33
Hi,

I noticed that the speedo went to 0 briefly when the dash complained about the tranny. 2012 cars (I'm not sure about the S4, but a lot of the As) now use ABS sensors for TPMS. The car also uses them to determine slip (hence the traction control light), and they are also used to compare with tranny speed to detect transmission slip (hence the tranny warning when speed goes to zero). I would suspect an ABS sensor or another (possible) rpm sensor in the transmission. Computer gremlins are also a possibility, but all the faults I see on the dash so far are related.

I love the 'low octane' excuse....
Tell me about the 'low octane' excuse, that was the straw that broke the camels back for me.

They have literally replaced every piece of sensor in the vehicle, including the computer module. NOTHING

Hence the reason why they were stating it was the bearings. Oh NO, the ABS cable being loose. Scratch that, it was the low octane fuel that damaged the injectors. Ummm, everyone is still scratching their heads without more excuses to give me.

Spoke to Audi of North America today and the rep is telling me that they are going to keep the car another week so they can "THOROUGHLY" diagnose the vehicle. What does "THOROUGHLY" mean, only they know. They will be reaching the 30 day limit if they do such a thing which will entitle me for a lemon, but lets see what they come back with now.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Quick update, truth be told, Audi is buying back the car and has offered a 2013 for immediate delivery in return. My local dealer has received 5 at the port as of May 25, but according to Audi, they can't release the vehicle until second week of July. I have already selected 2 options of vehicles that are in with almost the same options that I currently have in my car with the exception of the Stone Guards and Black/Silver seating, so upset that 2013 doesn't come with the Ti package.

All in all, doesn't seem like a bad option and won't have to wait for a longer lead time for a 2013.

Case closed.....
Old 05-26-2012, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Congrats on getting a new car from Audi. Hopefully the 2013 one will be kinder to you than the 2012.
Originally Posted by sendmeone
My local dealer has received 5 at the port as of May 25, but according to Audi, they can't release the vehicle until second week of July.
So they're going to hold the cars at the port until the 2nd week of July, or they will be shipped to dealers promptly, but the dealers can't sell them to customers until the 2nd week of July?
Old 05-28-2012, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Stereodude
Congrats on getting a new car from Audi. Hopefully the 2013 one will be kinder to you than the 2012.
So they're going to hold the cars at the port until the 2nd week of July, or they will be shipped to dealers promptly, but the dealers can't sell them to customers until the 2nd week of July?
Thanks, can't wait to get it. Waiting on Audi to release me the options pricing which for some odd reason are not in the system yet.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sendmeone
Thanks, can't wait to get it. Waiting on Audi to release me the options pricing which for some odd reason are not in the system yet.
Full pricing is out for the 2013 S4 in the US. link

Also, cars are hitting dealers now, so I'm not sure what your dealer was telling you about holding them until the 2nd week of July.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Stereodude
Full pricing is out for the 2013 S4 in the US. link

Also, cars are hitting dealers now, so I'm not sure what your dealer was telling you about holding them until the 2nd week of July.
Thanks for the link, I have that pricing guide...but it is not reflecting on their system as of yet. I have a good relationship at the local dealer and when we were looking at the different vehicles coming in...none had pricing attached to the vehicles.

The only information that was showing was the vehicles with the option codes, no $$ value as it normally shows.

As for the cars, they arrived at the port on May 25, but he mentioned that Audi wont release the cars for sale until some BS date. I dont know, that was the story I received, but I have the vehicle already picked out so it is a matter of taking delivery.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hello All,

My car just hit 81,000km and magically this is when I get I get a TPMS and gearbox malfunction. It happened just after I pulled out of my driveway and started to make a right hand turn onto a street. I drove the car back home and turned it off and back on again. Error went away and drove 120km for over an hour without any issues again.

The error I got was no reserve gear and TPMS right away. The only thing I can think of thats different with the car is my coolant sensor is being replaced this week (its been giving me issues) and I put in a injector treatment for the second time around. I'm just under a half a tank of gas.. going to see if adding Ultra 94 again without any treatment keeps the error away.

Anyone have any suggestions?
(I can post a video of the error later... but its basically a flashing yellow TPMS and Gearbox with an R)

Treatment I put in: http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...catid=2&iid=26

Last edited by TO407S4; 08-28-2013 at 04:24 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TO407S4
Hello All,

My car just hit 81,000km and magically this is when I get I get a TPMS and gearbox malfunction. It happened just after I pulled out of my driveway and started to make a right hand turn onto a street. I drove the car back home and turned it off and back on again. Error went away and drove 120km for over an hour without any issues again.

The error I got was no reserve gear and TPMS right away. The only thing I can think of thats different with the car is my coolant sensor is being replaced this week (its been giving me issues) and I put in a injector treatment for the second time around. I'm just under a half a tank of gas.. going to see if adding Ultra 94 again without any treatment keeps the error away.

Anyone have any suggestions?
(I can post a video of the error later... but its basically a flashing yellow TPMS and Gearbox with an R)

Treatment I put in: http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...catid=2&iid=26

Just found another thread, and I sure as hell hope it isn't this.
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ox-Malfunction

My DSG software was updated a few weeks back. Never had any problems up until now. Read a few people who had the issue once and it never came back.. Yes I've had my DSG serviced at the correct time and no issues were reported. Oil was clean I was told... but that was awhile back now..
Old 08-28-2013, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hello Again

Drove over 240km today and I'm happy to report that the issue never came back. I did however pull the logs. This is the second time I've seen something with the ABS sensor. This time it happened to go at the same time as the gearbox. System hasn't confirmed the issue with the gearbox and she was shifting great in stop and go traffic. (401 ugh)

Again my DSG software was upgraded a few weeks back, but its been shifting flawlessly. Actually better then it used to =/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 02: Auto Trans (J217) Labels: 0B5-927-156.clb
Part No SW: 8K1 927 156 K HW: 0B5 927 156 F
Component: 0B5 30TFSINAR H05 0012
Revision: --H05--- Serial number: 0000000807
Coding: 000001
Shop #: WSC 06325 000 00000
ASAM Dataset: EV_TCMDL501 A02087
ROD: EV_TCMDL501.rod
VCID: 3D7B0649ACB6E2F00BD

1 Fault Found:
8940 - Valve 3 in Transmission Part 2