S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2010 S4 DSG Mechatronic Failure ("TPMS + Gearbox Malfunction")

Old 05-08-2017, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you tell me what your mechanic did to fix it. I can't afford the 10-12k Audi wan

Originally Posted by arn560
The first time I had the dreaded Mechatronic problem, I lost 1st, 3rd, 5th & 7th gears. I paid a mechanic friend to resolve the problem for me which he did & it lasted 1 year.
Next time it reared its ugly head I lost 2nd, 4th & 6th & Reverse. With not having the money to get it fixed, I drove the car around like that for about a month (no reverse gear!). Miraculously, the errors codes disappeared as mysteriously as the appeared! It has been about 2 months now that I have been trouble free.
All the information I have gathered on this phenomenon is that it is software related and that all I need is a software update. I’m sure this will not end my woes.
Using my Carista App, the codes I was able to pull are:
P 2849 Shift Fork “A” Stuck
P 0961 Pressure Control Solenoid “A” Control Circuit Range Performance
01315 Transmission Control Module
The dashboard lights I had were: TPMS, CEL, R, Gearbox
These all went away by themselves, however they still show up in a Carista diagnostic scan.
Any input will be greatly appreciated

Can you you tell me what the mech did to fix it so I can have mine do it. Audi wants 10-12k and I can't afford that.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Help

Originally Posted by Chris
I just took mine (2010) in for it's 55k service (it has just over 55k miles), and asked them to check on that same warning - "Gearbox malfunction - You may continue to drive." Other than the warning light that came on, I've had no indication that anything is wrong; the car still feels normal.

The warning had come on a few times, usually for just a few seconds before going away, and usually when I'm just cruising along.

Anyhow, the dealer said they ran the checks that Audi authorizes (covers) and said my fault isn't included in that. They said my only option is a new transmission. I was quoted over $14k! I'm not sure what I'm going to do next.
same issue. Did you have any luck going another route
Old 05-08-2017, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, drastic measure, but it's entirely your choice. I am curious on the outcome, please post the outcome once you have it.

Originally Posted by hysteric
Exact same problem in my original owner 2011 S4 at 69k miles. Dealer said needed entirely new transmission for 14k. After arguing with AoA for a month, they agreed to cover half so I dropped 7k for a entire new transmission. 45 days and 1200 miles later the exact same problem occurred with the "new transmission". This time dealer says it's a bad circuit board in transmission which is a "known issue" and they replaced circuit board with the "updated one" and say it's fixed and ready to go. I have refused to accept the car and have spoken with an attorney.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rdf1965
same issue. Did you have any luck going another route
I honestly haven't done anything about it yet. It seems to shift fine, and the warning has come on once in the last 2 months. It's very sporadic. I plan on taking it to a local independent shop that specializes in German cars and see what they say. I'm just not sure what I should tell them I know. Like ... should I say that I believe it's the circuit board? Or just let them do a diagnostic first?

I dunno ...
Old 06-03-2017, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, I've got an appointment on the 22nd with a really reputable independent shop. I'd take it in earlier, but I'm waiting for school to finish (I'm a teacher) so I can get by without needing a car for a few days if necessary.

I completely forgot that the dealer had listed a couple of fault codes they found: P179E and P179F. Should I let the independent shop know about them, or let them find the codes?

Also, I've done some searching on those codes and I'm encouraged (hopefully not misplaced) that it might not be the actual transmission. *fingers crossed* I'm out of warranty and don't have an extended one, so a new gear box would really hurt the wallet.

I'll post updates as I get them ...
Old 06-06-2017, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well, I've got an appointment on the 22nd with a really reputable independent shop. I'd take it in earlier, but I'm waiting for school to finish (I'm a teacher) so I can get by without needing a car for a few days if necessary.

I completely forgot that the dealer had listed a couple of fault codes they found: P179E and P179F. Should I let the independent shop know about them, or let them find the codes?

Also, I've done some searching on those codes and I'm encouraged (hopefully not misplaced) that it might not be the actual transmission. *fingers crossed* I'm out of warranty and don't have an extended one, so a new gear box would really hurt the wallet.

I'll post updates as I get them ...
Most likely it is problem in circuit board with transmission input speed sensors and drive position sensor. Transmission remove and disassemble are required to replace the circuit board and sensors assembly. Average labor is around 15 hours.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by oaktreelimb
Most likely it is problem in circuit board with transmission input speed sensors and drive position sensor. Transmission remove and disassemble are required to replace the circuit board and sensors assembly. Average labor is around 15 hours.
Thanks for your input. I'm hoping that's all it is. Is that not the same thing as the "mechantronic" unit? What does this service generally cost? Thanks again!
Old 06-08-2017, 10:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for your input. I'm hoping that's all it is. Is that not the same thing as the "mechantronic" unit? What does this service generally cost? Thanks again!
It is not the Mechatronic. This part is in gear rear section of the transmission. Beside the electronic parts, it needs new harness, many seals and gaskets, bolts, fluids (ATF and MTF) and more. I would call your local Audi dealer about it. I have no idea how much it will cost you. Depending on hour labor rate, just multiply it to at least 15 hours.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Newest update.....

Well the new $7000 transmission I believe shifts a bit smoother than the original, the hesitation on stop/start gear changes is gone. I believe the Mechatronics unit is what caused the hesitation and what failed in the transmission. The new unit does feel a bit better. I do not know the fault numbers but you can also get a "gearbox" fault with a low battery, the park lockout solenoid seems to be the first thing to fail with a low voltage battery and it will give you a "gearbox" fault.

One extra note, there is probably a place for this elsewhere but I have to give Asheville Audi/Harmony motors a huge THUMBS DOWN, I will never take a car there again.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We just replaced this "board" (the correct name is gear selector lever sensor) of an 2010 S4. FYI the dealers around LA charge around $7-8k for it total (parts alone are around $2k). There is an Audi TSB that details it all, let me know if you can't find it and want it.

Last edited by Grisho; 06-22-2017 at 01:50 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 S4 DSG Mechatronic Failure ("TPMS + Gearbox Malfunction")