S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2010 S4 DSG Mechatronic Failure ("TPMS + Gearbox Malfunction")

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a picture of the old one installed:
Facebook Post

and the new one:
Facebook Post
Old 06-22-2017, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Report from Independent Shop

So I just heard from a very highly-rated and well-respected local independent shop about my car's faults (P179E and P179F). But first, a quick refresher on what the dealer's service shop said in February 2017: they confirmed the fault and reported the fault codes, checked existing TSBs, then concluded that my car's faults didn't apply to any existing TSBs and the "can only recommend replacing transmission ; quoted $14,179.63." (quote directly from service report) Of course, I'm out of warranty and don't have any extension, so any cost to repair comes out of my wallet.

According to the independent shop, they found the same faults, and a TSB that applies (the TSB was released in October 2016 - PDF attached). They stated that for the TSB to be valid, P179E had to be logged before P179F, which it is! The shop doesn't see why I'd need a new transmission and that it wouldn't solve the issue I'm having. They said to have a dealer do the TSB service since they'd have the resources, tooling, etc. to do so.

Now ... to take it back to the original dealer that said I needed a new transmission with this information, or to a different dealer's service center? Thoughts?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CCE06222017.pdf (1.97 MB, 6364 views)
Old 06-22-2017, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris
So I just heard from a very highly-rated and well-respected local independent shop about my car's faults (P179E and P179F). But first, a quick refresher on what the dealer's service shop said in February 2017: they confirmed the fault and reported the fault codes, checked existing TSBs, then concluded that my car's faults didn't apply to any existing TSBs and the "can only recommend replacing transmission ; quoted $14,179.63." (quote directly from service report) Of course, I'm out of warranty and don't have any extension, so any cost to repair comes out of my wallet.

According to the independent shop, they found the same faults, and a TSB that applies (the TSB was released in October 2016 - PDF attached). They stated that for the TSB to be valid, P179E had to be logged before P179F, which it is! The shop doesn't see why I'd need a new transmission and that it wouldn't solve the issue I'm having. They said to have a dealer do the TSB service since they'd have the resources, tooling, etc. to do so.

Now ... to take it back to the original dealer that said I needed a new transmission with this information, or to a different dealer's service center? Thoughts?
Looks like the bulletin has a disclaimer in there:

"If out of warranty, informational only".
Old 06-22-2017, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah. I'd fully expect to pay for a repair at this point, but I'm not willing to pay for the entire transmission since it's totally unnecessary. I want the TSB repair work done as it instructs, which I'd pay for, of course.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Class Action

I think there is a class action suit beginning. If you have had issues, I would def suggest getting involved....

https://www.classaction.org/audi-tra...oblem-lawsuits