S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2010 S4 needs some tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 S4 needs some tires

Hello all,
My son purchased a 2010 Audi S4 in beautiful condition with only 37K on the clock. It has Summer tires on it and I think it's a waste to buy new Summer tires, then buy another set of Wheel for Winter tires here in Pa just outside of Philadelphia. The weather here it basically rains most of the time. In the Summer it's stupid hot Humid and rains a lot. Fall it cools down and rains. Winter is freezing cold and Rains most of the time then Snows a few times a year. Spring is just like fall, rains with a few nice days here and there. So I thought about our weather conditions and talked with my Son about new tires and we both agree that a nice high performance All season is probably the best solution to our conditions.
I searched the forum first before I posted and found that Continental and Michelin Tires seem to be the popular tire makers. It seems the Michelin is a slightly better choice but the Continental is a strong tire as well. If you lived with the conditions I explained which tire for a S4 would you buy? I'm thinking both are excellent choices but my son and I debate which way to go. I lean towards the Michelins and he leans towards the Continental's.
Any help would be great. Sorry if this kind of question is beat to death but really it's a huge part of this hobby and getting the right tires is always great.
Thanks everyone up front.
Dan
Old 04-18-2019, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Daniel J Hunsinger
Hello all,
My son purchased a 2010 Audi S4 in beautiful condition with only 37K on the clock. It has Summer tires on it and I think it's a waste to buy new Summer tires, then buy another set of Wheel for Winter tires here in Pa just outside of Philadelphia. The weather here it basically rains most of the time. In the Summer it's stupid hot Humid and rains a lot. Fall it cools down and rains. Winter is freezing cold and Rains most of the time then Snows a few times a year. Spring is just like fall, rains with a few nice days here and there. So I thought about our weather conditions and talked with my Son about new tires and we both agree that a nice high performance All season is probably the best solution to our conditions.
I searched the forum first before I posted and found that Continental and Michelin Tires seem to be the popular tire makers. It seems the Michelin is a slightly better choice but the Continental is a strong tire as well. If you lived with the conditions I explained which tire for a S4 would you buy? I'm thinking both are excellent choices but my son and I debate which way to go. I lean towards the Michelins and he leans towards the Continental's.
Any help would be great. Sorry if this kind of question is beat to death but really it's a huge part of this hobby and getting the right tires is always great.
Dan
If you are going to compromise and get A/S tires, then either Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 or Conti DWS06. Used the Conti's for past three years as my non-Summer tire and while not good in a real snowstorm, acceptable rest of the time.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have Michelin summer and winter tires. I've been running Michelin's since the Michelin X in the '70's. If I were to go with a no season tire, I'd stick with Michelin. That being said, people do like the Conti DWS06.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel J Hunsinger
Hello all,
Dan
Hey Dan - Welcome your son to the B8 S4's here in Philly.....where parking on the street is a way of life (but here in Fairmount, actually not too bad). That being said...don't compromise - even in the recent 'lame' winters of Philly - on going with 1 set of tires. One must always wear the right shoe to the dance - one shoe just won't work. A solid set of winter tires and wheels will run about $12-1400 - and you can pick them up yourself at TireRack's Wilmington DE location for no shipping/no tax. With a simple hydraulic jack from AutoZone, and perhaps a better lugnut wrench than what comes standard, even your son can change tires - parked on the street - twice a year. Plus - it will extend the life of the more expensive summer tires when you are on winter rubber for 4-5 months.

Simply put - there is NO COMPARISON to winter and summer tires. And with the cold that we do get in the winter months - even if we've had no snow - your son will want winter tires. That being said - I also drive down to Wilmington for work every day....so good tires are a must for me...
Old 04-22-2019, 07:28 PM
QS4
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Flip a Coin

Daniel and son, you did a good job describing your driving conditions and thought process for your tire choices. Hopefully I will be helpful with my opinion.

I have been buying dedicated snow tires for almost 20 years now and WHEN CONDITIONS vary widely from summer to winter, a set for each is BEST for TRACTION. When going the all season route, dial back pushing limits of traction. I trust the tire rating information on TireRack.com from their tests and those customers that give feedback on the tires they have purchased. Check them out!

Check your tires' ratings and for All Seasons pick what works for driving conditions say 75% of the time. The other 25%, just slow down, give extra room, and know performance is less than optimal! Your son probably will notice traction suffering at the extremes of hot/cold weather and naturally harder driving/cornering and that is simply the compromise of A/S tires.

I always ask you come back to let us know what you chose and how it worked!
Old 04-23-2019, 02:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 874 Likes on 715 Posts

I would not go with no-season tires. But if you are going to go that route, check TR and CR ratings and reviews if you want to get the best of that group.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Given the OP's detailed report on weather conditions, I'd move.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 874 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
Given the OP's detailed report on weather conditions, I'd move.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in NEPA near Scranton. My driving is mixed including hilly, much higher elevations and a serious steep, long driveway off a rural road.... basically much tougher winter conditions. I use winter tires (Blizzak) Jan/Feb, and as dictated by weather at either end, for a few extra weeks. The rest of the year I've found the Conti WS06 a good all around tire including decent 'emergency' snow capability, especially in the first ~10k miles/50% life or so.

Now, after 14k miles, as I approach replacing them (probably after next winter at about 20k) I'll strongly consider repurchasing them or, if available, a new similar Conti model should it appear. .

You are likely reading Tire Rack's reviews and tests. They are excellent as input to the selection process. The info I've read there on this tire is pretty well what I've experienced. .