S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2012 S4 — when and features?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Space Frame is still quite expensive. The R8 has helped (like with LED headlamps that have now cascaded down to teh A8 and new A6) to research and lower overall cost of it. Expect to see this applied more to the RS cars, and then S before trickling down more.

Just like the phrase "A penny saved is a penny earned," the same goes for a car "weight saved is power created."
Old 02-06-2011, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rian
So technically if the pricing came out for the 2013 MY in April 2012, and I could order the car maybe 3 months after that then it is only a 1.8 year wait from now. I'm a tech geek and I really really like the Google interface and new MMI interface. Oh man, I got to keep saying to myself delayed gratification....delayed gratification.....I watched some of the 2011 Audi CES videos for the A8 and MMI interface. The MMI looks awesome!
I don't know, I used the MMI in the new A8. Didn't impress me much.

Try it out first.

As to the turbo 4... no way. That puts the S4 in the same bracket as the STi, Evo, and to a lesser extent, the golf R. Audi can't compete on that level.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Excelsior7

Try it out first.

As to the turbo 4... no way. That puts the S4 in the same bracket as the STi, Evo, and to a lesser extent, the golf R. Audi can't compete on that level.
This is an article from Car and Driver:

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car...fours-car_news

It was confirmed by the Audi technical development chief.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bbmaster

I still maintain that it's a bad idea. Inline 4's just don't sound nice, and they can't make large power easily. The work and money necessary to get the STi's 2.5L four to the power point of the S4's engine with just a tune is insane, and the smaller, 4-cylinder engine in the smaller, lighter STi gets worse mileage than the bigger, heavier, more powerful S4.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That article is almost 2 years old, and that far in advance, things are in the planning stages, so while it might have been something they were going for at that time (and still may be) also a lot can and likelt will change between then and now (when they are actively building test mules.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Driving style determines gas economy

In our latest high-technology engines, I don't think liter size or number cylinders determine my daily gas mileage as much as my mood does. If I drive my 2.0T A3 like I stole it I get 17mpg, if I feather it, on long highways I get 29mpg, so I hope Audi doesn't stop using attractive engines just to be "green". The real thrust of this article is a positive though...

If Audi can manage to cut a thousand pounds out of vehicles without loosing features, luxury or stability, then they will be better cars anyways, regardless of the engine.

So 333hp SuperV6 in a 3800lb car or 270hp Turbo5 in a 3000lb car... hmmm... both are probably pretty awesome ... just we are all suckers for a good exhaust note...
Old 02-07-2011, 01:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bbmaster

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
That article is almost 2 years old, and that far in advance, things are in the planning stages, so while it might have been something they were going for at that time (and still may be) also a lot can and likelt will change between then and now (when they are actively building test mules.
Exactly. Additionally, this quote outlines that they are clueless.

Originally Posted by caranddriver.com
Still, any idiot knows you can only get so far with engine downsizing in a performance car that weighs more than two tons.
A U.S. ton is 2,000 lbs and the car is 3,800 lbs - a little less than 'more than two tons'. When it comes to things like that, I tend to discredit any other 'facts' they may have mentioned in the article.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, the 3.0T in the S4 isn't going anywhere for a LONG, LONG time. Have you guys seen how long they use engines in their models before replacing them? It's a fantastic engine and they aren't going to do anything to change that. They are already meeting CAFE regs with it and are bringing the rest of the engines in line to meet the CAFE regs across the board.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn
A U.S. ton is 2,000 lbs and the car is 3,800 lbs - a little less than 'more than two tons'. When it comes to things like that, I tend to discredit any other 'facts' they may have mentioned in the article.

Weren't they talking about the S5 cabrio, which weighs 4300lbs, though?

I'm pretty sure they were, since the focus of the article was on the S5 and the 3.0T
Old 02-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Excelsior7

Try it out first.

Can you describe the things that didn't impress you with the Google MMI? Was it the speed of the updates on the maps? The layout on the MMI? I guess I could go into an Audi dealership and just play with the new MMI on the A8. I'm sure the SA would look at me weird since I'm just playing with the Nav and not wanting to buy a car. Actually I do want to buy a car just not the A8.

Quick Reply: 2012 S4 — when and features?