S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Looking to trade in my RS4 but for what??

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 05:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to trade in my RS4 but for what??

Hey all! I have been a member for a couple of years and a lurker many months before that.

I currently own and admire a 2007 RS4 - bone stock. Love the car and always wanted one since they came to the US. I have owned it now for about 2 years and it was a 3rd car at first but after selling my DD for my wife's Q5 I drive the RS4 daily (about 10 months now). Love the race car feel, speed, and overall exclusivity. I have gotten compliments from people at the gas station to the mechanics at the Audi dealer. I like that people recognize and appreciate the rarity and power of the car. I do not like to travel long distances in it, sit in traffic, or haul the 2 kids around in the back. I have a 3yr old and a 7yr old.

I now find myself not wanting to do the whole 3rd car thing but I need a better DD. Trading in the RS4 seems like my only option but what do i get?

Looked and drove the S4 - like the feel and handling but the speed is underwhelming. It is also not a rare car. Back seats are still tight for the kids and even adults. I also am not one to mod my cars...

I also looked at and drove a s6 - great power,and room but feels cushy and less sporty, it is also 17k more than the S4. They are a little more rare but still look like a A6.

After the test drives I got back into my RS4 and I still loved it more than the others. However, I still have the same cons with it as before. I am driving myself crazy...

Anyone out there make the switch from a RS4 to another Audi and live to tell about it??

The dealer I was at has a RS7 for 125k and my wife said I could buy it but asked if it had room for a twin mattress... I guess that means I would have to sleep in it?? haha
Old 10-29-2013, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

I've owned mine since new and have a hard time even thinking of replacing it. Nothing gives me the kind of pleasure the B7 RS4 and that includes some higher end sports cars.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by India Whiskey Charlie
I've owned mine since new and have a hard time even thinking of replacing it. Nothing gives me the kind of pleasure the B7 RS4 and that includes some higher end sports cars.
I see you even own a B8 S4? Is the RS4 a weekend car? What made you buy a S4 and keep the RS4?
Old 10-29-2013, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

Correct. The S4 is a "daily driver" which is also shared with the wife, hence the auto transmission.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Check out the SQ5. Great DD like S4 but a bit roomier and more practical if you have kids. I have a friend that loves sports sedans that has 2 kids and finds the S4 a bit too small, the S6 too expensive and the A6 and competitors not quite sporty enough. I mentioned the SQ5 and he is now really interested in it even though he wasn't considering an SUV.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Keep the RS4 for nice days and weekends, buy a used "beater' you can enjoy, throw the kids in and take to Home Depot on the weeekends.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:23 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are looking for exclusivity, what about an RS5? But really, Audi did wrong by the B7 RS4 owners when they released the B8 S4. Performance in stock form is very close to the RS4. Put a tune on it and the RS4 coms in second. Chassis is better. Sport dif gives the S4 a feel of a RWD. car. Plus the cost of the S4 SIGNIFICANTLY lower than the RS4 by $10k-$20k. Yes, the S4 is not nearly as exclusive as the RS4. But it still is a limited production car. Based on all the parameters of the RS4,IMHO, the S4 is the better value and better car. I routinely have 2 adults in the rear seats for trips around town and no one complains. You kids will fit in fine and no worse than the B7. If you can't get over the idea of driving such a plebian car as the S4, maybe you might want to think about the upcoming M3 or M4.There have been quite a few on the forums that have made the switch from the Rs4 to b8 s4 and they are predominately happy. Just a thought. Think about waiting for the B9 S4. But if you want a 6MT, it is rumored that B9s will not have an available MT. But who knows for sure?

Last edited by DrGP; 10-29-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I went to the dealer again tonight and took out the s6 and s4 again. Here was my take...

Walking around the S6 its dead gorgeous, and knowing she has a V8TT under the hood makes me wonder if it is out of my league. Palms are sweaty and I can't wait to hammer the gas and hear the growl. It is a luxury sedan first and monster second. When I stomped on the gas on a stretch of road..I waited... 2 seconds...AND THEN (ok slight exaggeration) it got up and went with the sound of the turbos in the background. Its almost like you need to have premonition I failed to enter corners well with power because of the lag. Once the engine responded it was rewarding though. Luxury first remember? While driving it I felt like I could not whip it around like my RS4 and rightly so it is a different car. In fact because of the price 85k and i was unfamiliar with the car I did not feel like I could adequately test the performance in the short drive. I am not sure my personality meshed with the S6. I loved the plush seats, large nav screen, alcantara headliner, and quad climate control. While I was driving the S6 it was sort of quiet in the car with my salesman giving directions talking features and the growl of the engine selling itself too.

Now onto the S4. I jumped into my least favorite color and the interior was 2 toned with another hideous color. (not going to offend anyone so the colors will remain anonymous)Anyway.. I was giggling before we got out of the parking lot! It is a very fun car to drive. I had a big smile on my face the whole drive. The car did not seem as fast as my RS4 but that can be fixed. The handling was great. I whipped the car around every corner and hammered the gas - loved the sport diff. - instant gratification every time. The S4 is a drivers car with some luxury. After sitting in the backseat and realizing it fit me just fine with 20k in my pocket, I could put into my Porsche 997TT fund.

I was still not done! I wanted to drive the S6 one more time and try to whip it around the corners. I got in drove to the first light and smelled gas! I knew right away that the fuel line ruptured and remembered the recall. Crazy experience to say the least. I'll post that in a separate thread later. I still smell like gas...

Anyway after typing all of this out and reflecting on my night I think that this long post says it all. I should just get the S4 - seemed like the fun factor was not something I was factoring into the decision until I drove them again.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think you have the S6 figured out pretty well. I drove one and thought it felt most like a super-fast Lexus. It is definitely luxury first and a great choice if that is what one seeks. I really liked it but it just wasn't what I wanted right now.

I would caution you on the S4 back seats. I have used them once in a while to go to lunch with people and they are definitely live-able in that scenario. It is easy to pull the driver seat forward to make some room for a short trip. However, if I had kids that needed to go in the back, I would really hesitate about an S4. In my car the drivers seat is all the way back and there is no way anyone (even a small child) will fit comfortably behind me without pulling up the front seat. However, I could not drive permanently with the seat forward the way it needs to be to fit someone in the back.

At a minimum, I'd take a long test drive with the kids in the back and seats set where they would need to be permanently to see if there is enough room for all. Get in and out a few times. I am 6'4 so if you are not as tall (like most people) you will have a little more room, but personally I think the back seats in an S4 will always be tight - good enough for periodic use, but not much more IMO.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RickFLS4
I think you have the S6 figured out pretty well. I drove one and thought it felt most like a super-fast Lexus. It is definitely luxury first and a great choice if that is what one seeks. I really liked it but it just wasn't what I wanted right now.

I would caution you on the S4 back seats. I have used them once in a while to go to lunch with people and they are definitely live-able in that scenario. It is easy to pull the driver seat forward to make some room for a short trip. However, if I had kids that needed to go in the back, I would really hesitate about an S4. In my car the drivers seat is all the way back and there is no way anyone (even a small child) will fit comfortably behind me without pulling up the front seat. However, I could not drive permanently with the seat forward the way it needs to be to fit someone in the back.

At a minimum, I'd take a long test drive with the kids in the back and seats set where they would need to be permanently to see if there is enough room for all. Get in and out a few times. I am 6'4 so if you are not as tall (like most people) you will have a little more room, but personally I think the back seats in an S4 will always be tight - good enough for periodic use, but not much more IMO.
Hmmm.. I am 6'0 and had the front seat where I thought I wanted it and then I even fit well in the back. I doubt I would ever have adults in the back more than once a month. Kids have a ways to grow till they are 6' =)

Good idea though. Corralling the wife and kids to go for a ride at the dealer is next to impossible.

Quick Reply: Looking to trade in my RS4 but for what??