S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2013+ S4 Reliability

Old 09-24-2015, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013+ S4 Reliability

I've read a number of threads here and around the web about Audi's reliability. Sometimes it's hard to discern what years or even what models the discussion is about, so I wanted to ask specifically about 2013+ S4's.

I never thought I would own an Audi. Like many German cars, their reliability ratings and subsequently, cost of ownership, just didn't seem to be a good value.

That said, I've spent quite a bit of time researching the newer S4's and it seems things may have changed since 2013. Although, I cannot determine what.

Albeit, as an owner of a 2005 Escalade with 236,000 miles, there probably isn't anything I can buy that would cost more to maintain than my average of $4700/yr since 2012 on that beast--not including fuel. The thing is, my repairs on this truck have been mostly minimal--water pump, trans rebuild at 150k, brakes, etc. I think the 6 liter will last at least another 100k if oil changes continue.

I'm a drive it into the ground kind of guy. I maintain my vehicles well, but do have a heavy foot and like to have fun. Let me tell you... that Escalade can whip donuts in the snow like no body's business.... I digress...

I'm looking at purchasing used--2013+ S4 with under 50k miles.

I drive about 20k miles per year.

Is this the type of car that I could count on lasting me 6+ years or 150k+ miles?

---assuming all the basics of course... the car was well taken care of by the prior owner, I continue to take good care of it, etc., etc.

I was looking at the GS350 and TL SH-AWD before I drove the S4. There's no doubt either of those would be more reliable.... there just not nearly as fun to drive.

Thanks in advance! I look forward to the replies.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are you looking at a manual or DSG? DSG is probably the only real weak spot on our cars, but seem to be better on Facelift models ( 2013+ ). T-stat and DSG transmission mechatronic module have been issues in earlier models.
If it has the Sport Differential, that could cost 10k to replace out of warranty. Overall, the motor is very strong and there are many out with 100K+ on them, but not sure who has 150k on one yet, so long term who knows.
Buy one that has been trouble free so far, keep the engine stock, maintain it properly and buy an extended warranty and you will probably be fine.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by togatown
Are you looking at a manual or DSG?
I was looking at the automatic. Seems like the manual would be fun, but I'm probably more interested in the convenience and comfort of an automatic.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

by the way... how do you guys like the Alcantara?

I'm concerned it may look weird when it wears, would conduct/produce static electricity and collect dog hair and dirt like crazy.

Thoughts?
Old 09-24-2015, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by smallbizwhiz
by the way... how do you guys like the Alcantara?

I'm concerned it may look weird when it wears, would conduct/produce static electricity and collect dog hair and dirt like crazy.

Thoughts?
I love mine, the Silver/Black looks the best IMHO. 48k and while the leather bolsters wrinkle, the Alcantara still looks like new.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:27 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys that have the Alcantera like it. But I prefer the Nappa leather. Not many real issues with this car. The advice that I give to everyone who buys a used S4(or any German car for that matter) is to buy an extended warranty. When things go bad in a German car( and they do) they can be very expensive to repair.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2013 S4 has been very reliable and solid, drives like new, or more correctly, better than new. The engine is now more responsive and getting better gas mileage after 20,000miles. The only problem I had so far was the air condition was not blowing cold air once, and it was fixed under warranty. This is by far the best car I have had in terms of performance, fun to drive, comfort, and reliabilty.

So far I still have less than 25,000 miles on the car, so I can not say much about long term reliabilty.

Before I leased my S4 new, I test drove 2 used S4s with about 10,000miles on them, both had rough idle, rough shift, and did not drive well, I got the feeling a higher percentage of S4s might went through a tough life because of their performance oriented nature, hence I decided on leasing. However, I am sure if you are patient, you could find a well maintained one that drives just like new.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
Guys that have the Alcantera like it. But I prefer the Nappa leather.
I think both Nappa or Alcantara looks great in any two tone color, and would be happy with either.
If I had to go all black,I would definitely prefer the leather.