S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2014 S4 MMI ?s

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2014 S4 MMI ?s

Looking to buy a 2014 S4. Trying to save a few (thousand) bucks and skip the MMI.
Here's why:
1. I have never had Nav in a car, and would always just use a smartphone whenever I need directions and traffic, like I do today.
2. The backup camera is cool, I get it, but it's not $3k cool. I can back into parking spaces fine without it.
3. BT streaming is the only thing MMI gives me (I think) that is really worth spending it to me, but I can't possibly justify spending that much on it, especially if it doesn't do A2DP.
4. The rest of the stuff (Audi connect, voice control, dvd player), I'll never use.

So, some questions to help me decide.
1. Does the 2014 MMI still not do A2DP?
2. Is there anything else I am missing without MMI, like access to settings, functions, etc...I can't find much info on the 2014 specifics.
3. Any first hand success stories with non-MMI BT streaming from the aftermarket? I do see some options out there.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dawgfanjeff
Looking to buy a 2014 S4. Trying to save a few (thousand) bucks and skip the MMI.
Here's why:
1. I have never had Nav in a car, and would always just use a smartphone whenever I need directions and traffic, like I do today.
2. The backup camera is cool, I get it, but it's not $3k cool. I can back into parking spaces fine without it.
3. BT streaming is the only thing MMI gives me (I think) that is really worth spending it to me, but I can't possibly justify spending that much on it, especially if it doesn't do A2DP.
4. The rest of the stuff (Audi connect, voice control, dvd player), I'll never use.

So, some questions to help me decide.
1. Does the 2014 MMI still not do A2DP?
2. Is there anything else I am missing without MMI, like access to settings, functions, etc...I can't find much info on the 2014 specifics.
3. Any first hand success stories with non-MMI BT streaming from the aftermarket? I do see some options out there.
I wavered when I got mine as well, but I ended up getting it and now I couldn't live without it. I Pandora stream constantly, which is nice, to avoid radio and Sirius. The voice command Google searches which then can lead directly to traffic/direction mapping is a nice feature, even if it's not one you use everyday. Backup cam is nice, but I agree that feature wouldn't be enough solely. Supposedly you have better audio quality when you get the MMI, I didn't test drive one without it to really be able to tell the difference.

I use the Audi Connect rarely, but I do occasionally check gas prices or the weather on there, or find gas stations when I'm not in a familiar area. I'm not super up on BT technologies, but what are you looking for with the A2DP? There's definite communication between the devices and such as my Pandora will update the track name and artist on the MMI screen.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, you are missing one feature if you do not include the NAV package.

If you get the Audi Drive Select option (included in the Sport diff package) you do NOT have the ability to change to "Individual setting"
This allows you to customize the exhaust/steering/suspension in any combination of Dynamic/Comfort/Auto settings that you choose.

Without the NAV you get ALL Auto ALL Dynamic or ALL Comfort.
i.e. Can't put the Exhaust on Dynamic and Steering and Suspension on Comfort

If it helps, I opted out of the Nav and bought a mount for my cellphone. No Regrets.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slasher016
I wavered when I got mine as well, but I ended up getting it and now I couldn't live without it. I Pandora stream constantly, which is nice, to avoid radio and Sirius. The voice command Google searches which then can lead directly to traffic/direction mapping is a nice feature, even if it's not one you use everyday. Backup cam is nice, but I agree that feature wouldn't be enough solely. Supposedly you have better audio quality when you get the MMI, I didn't test drive one without it to really be able to tell the difference.

I use the Audi Connect rarely, but I do occasionally check gas prices or the weather on there, or find gas stations when I'm not in a familiar area. I'm not super up on BT technologies, but what are you looking for with the A2DP? There's definite communication between the devices and such as my Pandora will update the track name and artist on the MMI screen.

Those are some good points, Esp about changing individual settings. I do plan to get Sport Diff, and wouldn't want to sacrifice that.

A2DP is a much higher bandwidth, (and digital) protocol for Bluetooth. I added an A2DT capable Alpine receiver to my beater SUV for $150. The sound is clearly superior to 3.5mm jack from either my old BB or new Galaxy SIII. The phone will simply redirect any audio it's playing. I use winamp on my phone to play playlists or whatever from my music collection which is sync'd to it, but it plays sirius, a youtube video, whatever.

It's very surprising (to put it generously) for Audi to not support or even offer a higher quality BT streaming std; they sure aren't shy about charging for better speakers .
There are aftermarket solutions, I thought somebody might know if 2014 MY added it.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

You'll get all sorts of feedback on this. The pros and cons of NAV vs. no NAV have already been covered above. If you will not use most features, it just comes down to the extra cost of the option package. Only you can make that decision. Either way, you will not be disappointed.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Without the "individual driver select" I would be disappointed with the S4 because I dont like any of the "all comfort" "all auto" or "all dynamic" settings. I think to really enjoy the car you do NOT want steering in dynamic mode (very heavy) but likely want most other settings in Dynamic mode. You cant do this without MMI
Old 09-04-2013, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just ordered my 2014 S4, and I opted not to get MMI. I have the same concerns as you, and I concluded that the major issue is the one already mentioned - the inability to set individual customized settings. I actually had to have a "chat" with Audi to figure that out.

I've read mixed comments elsewhere about whether it's a significant issue. Several people said they generally drive in Auto, and switch to Dynamic occasionally on the right roads. I guess that's what I will do, too. I just can't justify $3K for MMI, even though I have no doubt that it's great. Just can't afford that as well as the Sport Diff and Adaptive suspension, and I'm more concerned about handling.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My car came with Drive Select and I don't have the sport diff (unfortunately). I do not have the MMI either, but I don't mind the all dynamic setting. I think Drive Select is standard on 2014's because it was not listed as an option on my window sticker.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by twin_turbo
I think Drive Select is standard on 2014's because it was not listed as an option on my window sticker.
Yes, it is.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Steering in dynamic only feels heavy when turning at low speeds. I drive in auto unless I am tracking the car or doing some spirited driving and want some rotation via the sport diff. So not having individual settings is not an issue for me

Quick Reply: 2014 S4 MMI ?s