S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2015 AUDI S4 Ordering

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about getting the 19" tires in PA, but the car I built had a MSRP of around 62K. Depreciation not a huge concern because I'm buying it and hopefully driving it for the next 10 years. The steering is so soft on the premium plus (even with dynamic selected) that, while I think it's livable, it's so inconsistent with the sporting nature of this car. I did get to drive a Prestige last night that they had on the lot with the Driver Assist Package - and what a difference - day and night! The steering with the driver assist dynamic steering has a ratio that is a fraction of the premium plus, turns on a dime, and brings the car to life. Amazingly, that was even without dynamic selected. If I read the online brochures right, all theAudi R and RS versions only come with the dynamic steering; it makes the car a true sports car, in my opinion. The S4 without dynamic steering is absolutely no different that the A4 steering with the sport option. The S4 Premium Plus steering has no "link" to driving the car. I can't personally see getting this car without driver assist unless someone is OK with Chevy Malibu Rental like steering in an Audi S4. All this, my own personal opinion.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Then you should get it. However, I doubt many people (if any) are so dissatisfied with their cars that don't have it that they want to trade it in for one with it as the sales rep stated. I test drove one with it and opted to go without it - also just personal preference. The car with it sat in the lot for many months after I got mine. Many enthusiasts have stated they prefer the hydraulic steering from pre-2013 to anything electric. I just don't think it is anywhere near as popular an option as the sales rep indicated but like I said, if you want it - get it and enjoy it.

If you are worried about roads, consider adaptive damping which is a great (also not very popular) option unless you plan to modify the suspension. Of course, you'll want the sport differential as well.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The hydraulic steering in the pre-2013 (like the last generation 3 series) is better - no doubt. All the magazines agree with that. My opinion, however, is that the audi dynamic steering "dynamically" transforms the car and it's something that is in use every second of driving. I'm getting the car for enjoyment and the dynamic steering put the same smile on my face that the engine and transmission did; without it, the steering is way, and I mean way, too numb. My personal opinion.
The sales person could have been full of it, and maybe they make a few more bucks on a prestige, but it felt like driving 2 radically different cars, one with steering that was numb, the other with steering that made it feel like the car was in your hands.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Jan, I sent you the pictures of the s4 that just came off the truck yesterday; very similar to what I'm getting.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Prestige S4

the option for adaptive steering comes with adaptive cruise control which I hate with a passion. the opinions on this board regarding adaptive steering were that it was too light at slow speeds and to heavy at faster speeds so I did not order.

on our 2011 Boxster S there is hydrolic steering. it is heavier at slow speeds but a true sports car (people are complaining about the new Porsche electric steering as numb and not as good). S4 is a luxury sports sedan. I got the manual transmission.

the S4 steering works great for me. I ordered the adaptive damping at the last minute and am certainly glad I did. Nice to be able to have everything in Dynamic mode except the suspension which is in comfort mode on less than perfect roads. my wife loves it as well. Wish our Porsche had this feature. the S4 is just so much more comfortable on long trips and faster than the Boxster S, especially at altitude (8k ft above sea level).

best
Old 06-09-2014, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Dynamic Steering

[QUOTE=PhilNotHill;24575883]the option for adaptive steering comes with adaptive cruise control which I hate with a passion. the opinions on this board regarding adaptive steering were that it was too light at slow speeds and to heavy at faster speeds so I did not order.

Phil, the adaptive suspension is a nice feature, sometimes wish I got it.
As for steering, there is no such thing as "adaptive steering." It's dynamic steering - only available on the prestige. Has nothing to do with light or heavy which is only about boost. instead, it's all about the ratio, and the closer the ratio, the more expensive it is to manufacture as there are more mechanical parts to achieve the turn with less wheel movement . Equipped with dynamic steering, the car needs a fraction of the amount of wheel turning to achieve the desired result, akin to, but not as good as, an M3 or C63 or RS4. You can choose "dynamic" in the MMI for steering in an S4 without the option, but that achieves basically nothing except adding some boost that's what all the professional reviewers agree is artificial. Dynamic Steering on the other hand, and my opinion, is that it is a must have option unless you don't mind numb -dull steering . You can read up about the genuine "dynamic steering" in descriptions about the the RS5 or other performance cars from Audi. For some reason, hard to understand, Audi forces people to go Prestige to get the true dynamic steering on an S4. The option package does come with the adaptive cruise, but I never use cruise to begin with.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call me strange but I like the feel of "Dynamic" steering in my non Driver Assist S4. Even if it's simply adding boost (feels heavier) I like it. I think it's a joke to be comparing it to a Malibu however. C'mon man that's a load of BS.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Timmay
Call me strange but I like the feel of "Dynamic" steering in my non Driver Assist S4. Even if it's simply adding boost (feels heavier) I like it. I think it's a joke to be comparing it to a Malibu however. C'mon man that's a load of BS.
Yeah, I also don't get the infatuation with dynamic steering in the driver assistance package and think it is an option that is pretty rarely taken in an S4, but if it makes him happy I guess that's all that matters. Sounds like the sales person really sold him on it. I can't imagine why the car would be perceived / described as cr@p without it, but to each his own.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

another week and still waiting for pricing info on the 2015's.
I assume at some point Audi will want to sell some of these..
Old 06-10-2014, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RickFLS4
Yeah, I also don't get the infatuation with dynamic steering in the driver assistance package and think it is an option that is pretty rarely taken in an S4, but if it makes him happy I guess that's all that matters. Sounds like the sales person really sold him on it. I can't imagine why the car would be perceived / described as cr@p without it, but to each his own.
Exactly! I'm also willing to bet it won't make a bit of difference driving the S4 on a track.

Quick Reply: 2015 AUDI S4 Ordering