S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2017 Audi S4 & No Manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 12:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Audi S4 & No Manual Transmission

Hello everyone,

2017 Audi S4 switches to turbo power, loses manual

Now we have not heard an official statement from Audi on this yet but it doesn't look promising....

I know this will only affects a small number of S4 owners but I was quite disappointed to learn that the 2017 S4 is not going to have manual transmission available as an option. There are plenty of people who are fine with the automatic transmission but some people enjoy driving a stick shift (myself being one of them).

After learning of this news about the future of one of Audi’s models I wanted to express my concern with someone at the company. Don't get me wrong I am one of the biggest advocates for Audi and always promote them whenever I talk about my car. However, learning this news has made me doubt what Audi has in store for the future. I realize that when you look at the percentage of sales in USA that the majority are getting the DSG option. However, it still disappoints me that they will be removing the manual option.

I planned on keeping my car for a while and riding it out until the car just got too old and needed to be replaced. My plan was to just get another S4 when that happened but I can assure you that won’t be happening if you don’t offer manual transmission as an option.

I truly love my S4. It’s a few years old now yet still to this day I get nothing but enjoyment driving the car. Prior to reading this news, I couldn’t think of another car that I would ever want to replace it. If the news that I read is true however, I will definitely have some thinking to do when it comes to replacing my car. I understand that not many car companies offer manual as an option but there are a few out there still and they will most likely be looked into when it comes times to buy a new car down the road (cough cough...Porsche....cough cough).

When a company makes a drastic change like this I feel I need to speak up about my thoughts and concerns regarding the change. If no one speaks up, the company is going to assume they made the right decision. By speaking out and expressing my concerns to someone at the company I can only hope that others are doing the same and will hopefully reverse their decision.

I submitted my thoughts on the issue on the following page. I don't think it's going to help but I figured it won't hurt so why not express my opinion. I encourage anyone that is not pleased with the news of no manual transmission to do the same.

Contact Audi Customer Service | Audi USA

Thanks everyone.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:32 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI, the B8 S4 has not been available as a 6Mt in Europe. The real issue, as I see it, is that the DSG is not available either ! Being a dyed in the wool MT guy, I think I could live with the Stronic in the S4. Tiptonic, NO WAY! MB no MTs available either. That leaves you with BMW for a MT .

Last edited by DrGP; 09-25-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Word is that the RS3 is coming to US for 2017, I wonder what auto tranny that will have in it? I bet there will not be a manual choice.

If BMW could develop a decent AWD for the M3, they'd probably gain some ex-S4 fans.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:10 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by togatown
Word is that the RS3 is coming to US for 2017, I wonder what auto tranny that will have in it? I bet there will not be a manual choice.

If BMW could develop a decent AWD for the M3, they'd probably gain some ex-S4 fans.
335xi with a tune. In fact, I read that BMW is no longer using the N55 engine. New engine is rated higher in HP and TQ
Old 09-25-2015, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You can get a Porsche, but honestly the lastest gen PDK is incredible and quite involving for the driver.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by togatown

Just curious where did you hear the news about the RS3? I haven't read anything yet. Also do you know if they are bringing the RS4 back with it?
Old 09-28-2015, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mesa512
Just curious where did you hear the news about the RS3? I haven't read anything yet. Also do you know if they are bringing the RS4 back with it?
This month's Car and Driver did track tests at VIR and included the Golf and S3, last sentence in the S3 summary was, "Audi will be bringing the RS3 to the U.S."

Also here: Audi Confirms Ultra-Über-Hot RS3 for the U.S.! ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

No word on the RS4, but one could at least hope.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So very recently nearly bought a 435i GC. I've always been a BMW fan and have owned them in the past, and I had ruled out Audi because their B8 A4/S4 line is so old, I wasn't even considering one. Nothing against Audi, it was purely coincidental that I had never sat in any Audi in my entire life. But then I caught the announcement for the new B9's and quickly caught up to speed. I really find them attractive and the new dash is completely revolutionary. Love the new headlights too, and the interior.

The BMW on the contrary (3/4 series) just felt a little muted and their interiors a little conservative, but nicer than the B8. So basically it came down to "used BMW vs new B9". I put a deposit down for a new B9 after test driving a B8 S4 and loving it. It felt slightly better and more fun to drive than the 335i/435i. Gives me time to save up.

So my understanding from the dealer in Vancouver BC, is that the new A4s will arrive in March 2016, and the S4s will arrive in November 2016. I'm 3rd in line at my local dealer for an S4, so I would be in the first shipment.

Now my questions are -- what options should I get or skip? I've done some digging and still don't know what the full new options will be so I'm basing these off the current B8 options:

Audi Drive Select - comes standard with Technik package (Prestige in USA). Would want it anyways.

Sport differential - must have. I don't know why this isn't standard. It's so good!

Dynamic steering - don't feel I need it. Didn't test drive a car with it either. I've read up on it and I can see how some people love it, but it's different enough that I don't want to mess with classic steering.

Suspension with damping control - I hear it's really nice to have, but the con is that that they are 4x more expensive to replace than the stock ones, but it gives you more control and dynamic mode gives you a firmer ride than stock. So on the fence here.

Black Optiks Package -- For the B8s it seems to be a must have. For the B9s... it's hard to say. The chrome looks amazing. When I test drove the B8, the grill was plastic but I can't remember if it was the black one or not. I still think I like the look of the black better, but if there is a chance real chrome metal gets replaced with black plastic, for an added cost, I would take issue with that. So on the fence on this one at the moment. I will wait till the A4s come out and see them up close and personal.

I've also heard quite a few discussions even in this thread about lack of DSG and manual transmission. It's pretty obvious that manual transmissions are going the way of the dodo bird. I only drove stick for the first half of my driving life and while it was fun and I swore by it, three things destroyed it for me - big city traffic cramps, significant others, and the rarely humiliating badly grinded shift or stall. Automatic technology is so good now that no skilled racing human with a stick could reasonably outwit an idiot that puts his pedal to the medal in an automatic of the same car anymore. But there are two big reasons why MT is going away -- and that's because only a tiny fraction of people order them, especially in North America and that's a big cost for factory lines to support them and continue to develop them. But more importantly, they are worse for fuel economy and performance. In a way it's like the standard advancement of time. Driving a stick is snail-mail vs email.

DSG on the other hand... it seems like a really nice technology, but apparently they are very expensive to fix and apparently have been failing at a fairly high rate, and I'm kind of happy to go with a straight forward slush-box.

I've also looked up used cars and it seems at least in BC, the S4s retain their value a little better than BMWs. Maybe it's because there are so many more BMWs in the market that there is more competitive pricing (like a 5:1 ratio). But a loaded S4 costs less than a loaded 335/435 and appears to resale a little higher on average for 3-4 year old ones.

Thanks for listening! Only 13 months!
Old 09-30-2015, 07:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by marnes
So very recently nearly bought a 435i GC. I've always been a BMW fan and have owned them in the past, and I had ruled out Audi because their B8 A4/S4 line is so old, I wasn't even considering one. Nothing against Audi, it was purely coincidental that I had never sat in any Audi in my entire life. But then I caught the announcement for the new B9's and quickly caught up to speed. I really find them attractive and the new dash is completely revolutionary. Love the new headlights too, and the interior.

The BMW on the contrary (3/4 series) just felt a little muted and their interiors a little conservative, but nicer than the B8. So basically it came down to "used BMW vs new B9". I put a deposit down for a new B9 after test driving a B8 S4 and loving it. It felt slightly better and more fun to drive than the 335i/435i. Gives me time to save up.

So my understanding from the dealer in Vancouver BC, is that the new A4s will arrive in March 2016, and the S4s will arrive in November 2016. I'm 3rd in line at my local dealer for an S4, so I would be in the first shipment.

Now my questions are -- what options should I get or skip? I've done some digging and still don't know what the full new options will be so I'm basing these off the current B8 options:

Audi Drive Select - comes standard with Technik package (Prestige in USA). Would want it anyways.

Sport differential - must have. I don't know why this isn't standard. It's so good!

Dynamic steering - don't feel I need it. Didn't test drive a car with it either. I've read up on it and I can see how some people love it, but it's different enough that I don't want to mess with classic steering.

Suspension with damping control - I hear it's really nice to have, but the con is that that they are 4x more expensive to replace than the stock ones, but it gives you more control and dynamic mode gives you a firmer ride than stock. So on the fence here.

Black Optiks Package -- For the B8s it seems to be a must have. For the B9s... it's hard to say. The chrome looks amazing. When I test drove the B8, the grill was plastic but I can't remember if it was the black one or not. I still think I like the look of the black better, but if there is a chance real chrome metal gets replaced with black plastic, for an added cost, I would take issue with that. So on the fence on this one at the moment. I will wait till the A4s come out and see them up close and personal.

I've also heard quite a few discussions even in this thread about lack of DSG and manual transmission. It's pretty obvious that manual transmissions are going the way of the dodo bird. I only drove stick for the first half of my driving life and while it was fun and I swore by it, three things destroyed it for me - big city traffic cramps, significant others, and the rarely humiliating badly grinded shift or stall. Automatic technology is so good now that no skilled racing human with a stick could reasonably outwit an idiot that puts his pedal to the medal in an automatic of the same car anymore. But there are two big reasons why MT is going away -- and that's because only a tiny fraction of people order them, especially in North America and that's a big cost for factory lines to support them and continue to develop them. But more importantly, they are worse for fuel economy and performance. In a way it's like the standard advancement of time. Driving a stick is snail-mail vs email.

DSG on the other hand... it seems like a really nice technology, but apparently they are very expensive to fix and apparently have been failing at a fairly high rate, and I'm kind of happy to go with a straight forward slush-box.

I've also looked up used cars and it seems at least in BC, the S4s retain their value a little better than BMWs. Maybe it's because there are so many more BMWs in the market that there is more competitive pricing (like a 5:1 ratio). But a loaded S4 costs less than a loaded 335/435 and appears to resale a little higher on average for 3-4 year old ones.

Thanks for listening! Only 13 months!
All valid points about the MT. Yes, when you are in traffic...it sucks but after driving stick for so long now, I am just used to it. It doesn't bother me anymore. I always teach any significant other how to drive stick (it is a useful skill to have).

The main reason why I am so adamant about MT is because simply...it's fun! While driving in traffic sucks, I am smiling ear to ear once I get the car on some back country roads in Vermont or Maine. I say to myself, it is so worth it!

To echo what I said in my first message, I realize MT drivers are definitely not the majority but as a consumer I can buy from anyone I want. If Porsche keeps pumping out the GT4 and others with MT...then they will have my business come a future car purchase.

BTW, enjoy your S4 when it comes in!
Old 10-01-2015, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No MT = No S4

There's no point arguing about it. Everyone knows the pros and cons by now. Die hard fans who prefer the additional involvement of a stick shift will have to leave Audi. Its a bit akin to sailing, sure a motor boat is easier to operate but the additional interaction of working the sails provides more pleasure for some. My commute doesn't involve much traffic. If I am paying this much money on a car, I want the exclusivity and engagement of 3 pedal operation.

Quick Reply: 2017 Audi S4 & No Manual Transmission