S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

All about the water pump issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default All about the water pump issue

OK.

So I called in and had an appointment this morning with my dealer (props to Barrier for being very transparent and going over this with me!) to get my pump replaced. If you don't want the scoop and only want to know if you can get your pump replaced NOW, skip to the bottom, as I have the entire range of VIN's affected.

Some back info on the issue and use of proper Audi terminology in case you call YOUR dealer and talk to them so the understand what you are asking, since they look at things in the Audi computer system and this is the verbiage used there:

This is called a "Campaign" in that Audi canvasses cars with known issues to attempt to address them prio to the majoirty of the owners actually experiencing the issue. The V6T 3.0 owners who have the suspect part in the first place encompasses the S4, Q5, S5 Cabriolet and A6 with this engine.

Under the Campaign, are "RVU's" or Required Vehicle Updates. Our specific one as has been called out by ranch's paperwork is 19H1

RVU's are not recalls. To Audi, recall means something that is potentially dangerous or life threatening. RVU's are not something they send you a notice of in the mail, or that your dealer will contact you about - how they work is that any time you have your car at the dealer for an issue or maintenance, they run your VIN and any RVU's that come up matching your VIN they see if it has been done to your car, if not - they do it.

The good news
For this one, in order to prevent there from being a shortage of pumps for all the cars out there, and so that there will more likely be some in stock for people who's pump has just failed and need one NOW, they are doing this RVU in blocks of VIN's and the first VIN block was released last Friday.

The bad news
Obviously they are not doing it for all cars right now, even if you do have the plastic pump housing, and as such you cannot get it done unless yours fails, you see it leaking and can show the dealership, or you fall in the current RVU VIN range. Also, since this is only looked at when a car is in for service, there is only the chance of catching those in the range who are in for problems, 5K or 15K service - so a long time till those are caught. There is also no word on when the next block will be released - it could be that Audi will see how many get caught in wave 1 before opening up more, they could be waiting on a % of wave 1 to be done before the next lot, they could be waiting on a mass shipment of pumps to handle the influx, or any combination of these events. We have to wait and see, and hope ours don't blow if you have the plastic one still.

Now for the info you all likely want - what is the range of VIN's who can currently get theirs fixed?

Those owners of S4 with VIN's ending in 003862 - 048910 can and will get this fixed at any dealer as of RIGHT NOW. Call immediately if you have this range, reference that you are aware of an RVU campaign 19H1 for failing water pumps on your S4, and you know that your VIN falls in the affected range. Go get your new pump asap. This will make you safer, and likely get other people in the next block(s) of VIN's taken care of sooner the faster they address those in block 1.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very informative post. Thanks for the info!
Old 09-23-2010, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks! I already have mine scheduled for early next week.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

So NWS4GUY no water pump replacement for your S4 right now?
Looks form the VINs I have to wait a while.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by AgisA
So NWS4GUY no water pump replacement for your S4 right now?
Looks form the VINs I have to wait a while.
Not for mine yet no Mine was mid Oct of 09, and my VIN ends in 075017 for reference. Looks like waiting game for me unless it blows.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the info. I got my appointment set up for next week.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was excited until I checked my VIN - 72711. Damn it!
Old 09-23-2010, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I also cross posted to Azine, the thread there I gave pics of where to locate your build date sticker and what to look for under the hood if you have the old or new pump. My pic shows the old one, and another poster took a pic if his with the new pump for comparison.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have to wait more than you:
VIN: 81425
Old 09-23-2010, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks NWS4Guy for taking the time to sort this out!

Mine was built 11/09 with -...92035. Hope the RVU is available for my build date by my next (25,000) service. I plan to begin inquiries with my dealer next month, can't see driving around the midwest this winter waiting for the time to be right. Not hard to visualize a winter breakdown moving from an inconvenience to life threatening.

Quick Reply: All about the water pump issue