S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

All about the water pump issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 12:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cal2000A6
Thanks so much for the info NWS4Guy. My VIN falls within that range. I assume this RVU applies in Canada as well?
It should, check with your dealer rep.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ArStL
anyone have the vin decoder handy?
Not sure if this is what you mean, but here's link to AoA recall and service campaign site...put in your VIN to see if your car is effected:

http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/o...container=page
Old 09-24-2010, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cal2000A6
Thanks so much for the info NWS4Guy. My VIN falls within that range. I assume this RVU applies in Canada as well?
Should be, call and verify.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trigoe
Thanks NWS4GUY. As usual, you are a supply of great info and I for one am thankful for your efforts and generosity in sharing.
I think NWS4GUY sleeps under his car in the garage @ night and absorbs all that great S4 info through osmosis!

No recalls showed when I plugged in my VIN to the decoder, even though my build date is 9/09 or before. But, I'm going to confirm that by going to the dealership in a couple weeks.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

LOL Rick - well with the relationship you have at your dealer, they might do yours anyway.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Neal--- recheck VIN range please----- mine ends in 0046381, which falls in that range. I checked the AudiUSA website for campaigns for my VIN- no campaign.

Checked with my dealer, as well as two other dealers in region---nothing. do you have any other info to share? Ir, is there somewhere else they should be looking (they were looking in their Audi/VW campaing database...

thanks

Steve

edit--do you have the VIN range of the last 8 digits, not the last 6? I'm on the phone with AoA right now, and they see nothing either....(Campaign RVU 19H1...)

Last edited by IAS5; 09-24-2010 at 06:41 AM.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I was looking at the Service guys screen as he was searching, I think it was exactly "19H1 / F1" there were 2 alpha after the slash but he saw it immediately - it was one of the top 3 RVU's on the screen. Barrier Service Manager said he was aware of the issue, and I think it was Keith I talked to when I went in to Barrier.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

thanks for the heads up. I think i have movement at my dealer---i confirmed that i have the black plastic pump---

you might want to get that pic you posted on AZ and put it here---that's what helped me confirm that i have the bad pump.....

THANKS
Old 09-24-2010, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

OK gang here you go. The Prod date and VIN are on a label just above the side blade, at bottom the point where the the back of the driver door closes on the front of the rear door.

You can see in the top left corner under "MFD." is the month/year of production.

The Supercharger pulley is the ORANGE arrow, the Accessory belt is the BLUE arrow, and between these 2 is the tiny RED arrow pointing to the black plastic edge of the water pump housing that has orange/yellowish text on it.

Here is a pic of the GOOD pump, you can see the silver behind the pulley with the VW logo on the belt:

Old 09-24-2010, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

PERFECT- thanks!

for those that are running into "speedbumps" on this issue, when you talk to your saervice manager, ask them to look up the RVU# --not just by the VIN#. For some reason, the VIN (even in the AudiUSA VIN/campaign lookup) search does not show the campaing assigned to it "yet," but when the Service manager looks up the RVU#, they can see the models, and the VIN ranges.

I confirmed that I have the black plastic pump (thanks to NWS4Guy's post of the pic----see red arrow on pic). My car was manufactured in Aug 09, and the VIN falls in that range.

My car is due for it's 5k service, so they will be addressing it then. Hope this helps also...

Steve

Quick Reply: All about the water pump issue