S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Android Phones and MMI

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 03:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Android Phones and MMI

I am about to upgrade my phone to an android based phone, probably a Samsung moment. Anyone have any experience using one with the mmi? My current phone works perfectly with the mmi but I am unsure if new android based models are as compatible. Any info would, as always, be gratefully received.

P.s Loving the car
Old 01-04-2010, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by s4buyer007
I am about to upgrade my phone to an android based phone, probably a Samsung moment. Anyone have any experience using one with the mmi? My current phone works perfectly with the mmi but I am unsure if new android based models are as compatible. Any info would, as always, be gratefully received.

P.s Loving the car
I use a Blackberry, so can't say for sure, but I would think they'd be fine. Here's why:

The 3G MMI is developed at least in part in conjunction with Google. I had previously thought it was just the Map data, but it seems to be more than that, as I had a tour of Google's campus in September, and we walked by a room where they had 3 test rigs setup of the 3G MMI. It was pretty cool - basically a working dashboard and center console. It was on a custom desk of sorts.

I asked about it, and they said it was for testing new software loads.

None of this implies that they test Android with it, but there were enough Audi logos and car pics around the area to imply that those Googlers were enthusiastic about the product.

That said, I'm sure someone on here has a Droid, and will chime in shortly.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: DROID

You shouldn't have a problem with bluetooth and the 3G MMI. I did have had a couple issues (sometimes, the phone wouldn't push the audio to the car when a call came in), but that was a phone software issue hopefully resolved with 2.0.1; I can't verify this as I'm still waiting for my car to come back from the body shop.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Comso
The 3G MMI is developed at least in part in conjunction with Google. I had previously thought it was just the Map data, but it seems to be more than that, as I had a tour of Google's campus in September
Update to this.

I've been at CES 2010 for the last few days. There's a 2010 Q7 being displayed by Nvidia right outside of central hall. I talked to them, and the reason they're showing it is to demonstrate their capabilities in graphics for cars. The 3G MMI uses their chipset (for the main screen, not the dash screen apparently) so they were showing how fluid the zoom and scrolling in the map section is.

We got talking about the 3d wireframe stuff, and he insisted it was supplied by Navteq, not Google. So I don't know what I saw them doing with MMI at Google afterall.

<shrug>
Old 01-10-2010, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Comso
So I don't know what I saw them doing with MMI at Google afterall.

<shrug>
Just a stab in the dark, but it's likely they were testing the system out for compatibility with their phone. Most OEM's work with each other to supply test beds so that all their tech can work seamlessly. I thought this was likely the case when I first read this, but didn't say so, since you were there and I wasn't.