S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Anyone else on the fence about waiting for the B9?

Old 07-25-2013, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zatoichi
I do indeed want a 6 speed transmission. Are you suggesting that will be going away for the B9? That'd be a game changer for sure.
Yes, I am suggesting that. It already went away in Europe in the B8.5.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by carguyrob
BMW continues to offer manual transmissions for their M5 only for the U.S. market due to pressure from enthusiasts and car magazines.
Yes, but even BMW has said the days of them developing a manual just for the US market are limited.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am not patient enough to wait. I have also heard no more MT for next model, shame.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Stereodude
Yes, but even BMW has said the days of them developing a manual just for the US market are limited.
Manuals are going to go away. One day it will be viewed just like the old style crank that was used to start accar.

There are not enough enthusiasts to make it worth their while. Back in the olden days (as in only 10 to 15) years ago, you'd buy manual for very practical reasons like better gas mileage and better performance. That is no longer the case. You will go slower and get poorer gas mileage with a manual. The manual is all about a visceral "feel connected to the car" feeling. Just look around you... Most people are playing with their phones, stereo, guiding the steering wheel with their right wrist while letting the left arm hang out the window. These people do NOT care about feeling connected to the car.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The owner of my Audi dealer believes there will not be a manual transmission for the next redesign. I am hoping he is wrong.

BMW continues to offer manual transmissions for their M5 only for the U.S. market due to pressure from enthusiasts and car magazines. One the flipside, the new 911 Turbo is only offered with a PDK...for the first time in its history.

Who knows...
If it is truly the case that 6MT won't be available even on US A3s/S3s, then that would support your dealer's claim, unfortunately. I would like for Audi to continue to offer a 6MT S4, but I guess considerable changes in buyers' preferences are forcing them to do otherwise.

In as much as VW Golf R enthusiasts have convinced VAG to bring a 4-door Golf R to the US for the first time, I'm hopeful that a 6MT S4 could still be a possibility for the US market.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RedlumF
I'm on the fence as well. I was disappointed to find out that the B8 S4 doesn't have the power folding mirrors like my 2006 S4, but that can be addressed with a kit from ECS.

I'm thinking of waiting until December to see if any concrete news on the B9 will come out then. If Audi continues with the supercharger for the B9, then I'll wait. If it's going to be a bi-turbo, then I'll have some thinking to do. The B5 S4 had a bi-turbo, and I didn't feel any lag with that car, so it may not be an issue. There's just something about the supercharger though that draws me back to it, so we'll see.
Long live superchargers! Instant torque cannot be duplicated.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I thought I heard somewhere that the B9 was gonna be a twin-turbo four.

Does anyone have a link to some informed B9 speculation? I'd like to read more about it. I'm a huge supercharger fan, maybe I'd get a late 8.5 instead of a 9, I'll be due to trade by then.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

The owner of my Audi dealer believes there will not be a manual transmission for the next redesign. I am hoping he is wrong.

BMW continues to offer manual transmissions for their M5 only for the U.S. market due to pressure from enthusiasts and car magazines. One the flipside, the new 911 Turbo is only offered with a PDK...for the first time in its history.

Who knows...
Back to Golf R for me then, the 3rd pedal is essential for me 2.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
I agree about not buying the first year of any new platform. One of the reasons why I jumped on the B8.5 was that Audi rolled in all the fixes for problem they learned about in B8. This should be a really stable platform.
you mean like electric power steering?
Old 05-28-2014, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kandiru
Back to Golf R for me then, the 3rd pedal is essential for me 2.
Yeah but those 2 cars are not even remotely the same.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone else on the fence about waiting for the B9?