S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Anyone have pics of B8 S4 with H&R OE Sport Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LeoR604
I don't understand why swapping springs will wear out the dampers any quicker. A damper is essentially a piston in a bore and, unless it is slamming into the end of its travel, I don't understand why simply repositioning that piston in the bore will cause any faster wear.

Is this accelerated wear a fact, or a myth that has become a "fact" because people believe it to be true?
I've run plenty of cars with just springs... I've also run plenty of cars with full coil overs. To be honest, I've had more issues with coil overs failing than stock shocks. (in fact, I've never had a stock shock wear out after a spring install)

The way I look at it, start with springs, see if you even like the drop and harsher ride... (cheap at around $300) then if they fail (unlikely) or you want something more adjustable (likely), etc, "spring" for the more expensive coil overs. You'll now have coil overs with less miles on them! lol

There's nothing wrong with going straight to coil overs if you know the ones you want and you like how they feel... but in my experience, each brand is different, and they're not a cheap mod to be messing around with, so you should probably make sure you really like them.

To just buy a set of coil overs without riding in a car with them would be like buying one of the exhausts without hearing it. They're all quite a bit different.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi
Is there anyone tried this KW adjustable spring kits??
I like that it can keep a bit of height flexibility while retaining drive select option.

http://www.kw-automotive.info/int/kw_suspensions.php
-The KW coilover spring kit is used for lowering the vehicle in combination with the serial dampers, even when electronic damper control is installed. This lowering solution from KW optimises the dynamic performance and the steering behaviour without the electronic damper control deactivated. For this solution vehicle specific adjustable spring seats with adjusted KW lowering springs and the matching elastomer as well as the dust cover system will be used. This complete conversion allows an individual adjustable lowering solution.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by swdotc
Hi
Is there anyone tried this KW adjustable spring kits??
I like that it can keep a bit of height flexibility while retaining drive select option.

http://www.kw-automotive.info/int/kw_suspensions.php
-The KW coilover spring kit is used for lowering the vehicle in combination with the serial dampers, even when electronic damper control is installed. This lowering solution from KW optimises the dynamic performance and the steering behaviour without the electronic damper control deactivated. For this solution vehicle specific adjustable spring seats with adjusted KW lowering springs and the matching elastomer as well as the dust cover system will be used. This complete conversion allows an individual adjustable lowering solution.
KW is supposed to make some great stuff... if/when I go to coil overs, that was the company I was going to look into. I'd still like to feel them in person before committing.

Here's my dirty car on just H&R springs, after an alignment, etc of course.
Name:  IMG_0277.jpg
Views: 2839
Size:  149.2 KB
Old 07-10-2017, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jts4
thanks for the pic. was wondering how much of a gap u have b/w fender and tire for both front and rear?