S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Anyone using a oil catch can?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone using a oil catch can?

Im planning on installing a oil catch can. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of options on the web. Just wondered if anyone else has one and suggestions.
thanks.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was wondering the same thing. Much of the forum threads i've found lean towards catch cans not being as effective as the advertising claims they should be. The 3 kits i found for our S4's are also fairly expensive all things considered. I'd be curious to know what others thoughts and experiences are here....
Old 11-22-2017, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with ECS tuning and just installed mine two days ago, so I can't tell you have effective it is yet. However, the one I have installed on my ZL1 works great! Since I have a 2012 S4, which has a notorious reputation for carbon build up etc in the intake, I decided to install one, especially after seeing how effective my ZL1 can was working.

Two points of interest if you decide to install one.
1. Be careful when you pull your breather tubes, they are very rigid and brittle. I snapped the passenger side with zero effort. Fortunately, per the instructions the stock breather tube on that side just gets capped. So not a big deal. However, the breather tubes are a Bi(*&&^ to get out if you needed to replace them they connect in the rear of the engine compartment and I have no idea how the hell I would ever remove them unless i pulled the throttle body or worse...
2. There is ZERO space to work with and removing the can will be a PIA unless I move the stock coolant "small" lines. But they too are rigid and i don't know if i replaced them with soft lines if that would effect the pressure in the system.

Anyway- good luck.
Attached Images  
Old 11-22-2017, 11:31 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you think you really need one?
Old 11-26-2017, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It all comes down to what you're using your car for and how it is tuned, the more aggressive the tune, the less safety margin you have. I've been running catch-cans with every boosted application, but then again, I track my cars, that's why I don't want to re-burn my blow-by as it lowers your octane and can have potential for detonation.

If you're not tracking your car or putting it through track abuse, then I wouldn't worry about catch-can, but if you do, put it in. I even run a catch-can on my N/A V8 and every two 20min sessions on the track, I empty the catch-can which is mostly full, now imagine, all that would have been injected back into the cylinders and burned, which can have adverse consequences on your car.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Update-

With the known carbon buildup issues, I felt it was money well spent. While it will not prevent carbon build up, it should help to slow the process down. Since installation, i have emptied the can two times and both times it was full, so it is doing something.